Monday, June 20, 2011

I Love Being A Dad

Yesterday was Father's Day. It was my first. I didn't know what to expect. After all my kids are only 12 weeks old. They can't write, speak, or buy me stuff. A great gift from them would be to sleep through the night or to not poo for one day only. Maybe next year.

Even though my kids don't have a fat clue that for one day a year they are forced to celebrate me I still had an amazing day. My wife is a rock star. I came home from church to this...
Pictured Above: Reese and Hayden with two gifts.

Pictured Above: Hayden rockn' a matching outfit with his dad. Look how happy he looks.

Pictured Above: Reese rockn' her I Love Daddy shirt.

Now it gets better. My wife loaded up the kids to drive to Chipotle, picked up lunch, and brought it home for me. Amazing!

I know that my kids are little. I often think that they don't have a fat clue who I am. I mean they cry, eat, and even smile no matter who is holding them. But even though they don't bring anything to the table I love being their dad!

Reese and Hayden, I know you can't read. I wish you could because I want you to know how much I love you. I am not perfect, but I promise to be the best dad I can. I will do my best to turn off my cell phone and give you my undivided attention. I will do my best to be interested in what you are interested in. I will do my best to not embarrass you. I will do my best to be the best dad in the world. I love you.

What did you get your dad for Father's Day?

20 comments:

  1. nice. happy fathers day man!

    i woke to breakfast in bed (waffles & bacon), got a bracelet and book, and we went to baseball game in the afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We bought Eric the new Tim Tebow book , Building 429 CD, and a new mug to replace one that had just broke. He got to pick everything we did for the day. He was in heaven with the sports choices this year. ( UVA game, Redsox, Golf, & Nascar all in one day) The boys ended the day by both giving him a back massage. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professional chair massage on Sat. and frittata for breakfast on Sun. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, loved the celebration in your words of this post. Hopefully your love as a parent will continue to grow and evolve and spread. My gift this weekend was the gift of time with my daughter. I hope never to take this for granted (actually I'm pretty sure that this won't happen). Blessings to you (haven't gotten a chance to chat in person the last few weeks).

    ReplyDelete
  5. My twin girls were born on May 23rd and have been a pure blessing in my life. My first Father's Day was just incredible.  I soaked up all the time I had with them.  My wife cooked breakfast, followed by cards from her and the kids, and a wooden Dad plaque.  I didn't want the day to end but am comforted by the fact I get to see and help raise my daughters each day. I am in awe of the commitment my wife shows in taking care of our two little ones.  She rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doug, how cool. Our's were born March 30th. Congrats on the twins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like an epic day for Eric. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Brian! Sounds like you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay - LOVE the pictures!  Especially the one of your son CRYING - yup he looks so involved and happy - this will be great to show him when he's older :)  I gave my Dad a sappy card and a jar of dry roasted peanuts - his favorite :)  Enjoy the 20 or so years you will have with your twins - our baby just moved out and we don't know where that 20 years went!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures!

    We had a low key day... let the kids play in the inflatable pool and get all worn down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dustin, that sounds like a great day...even though it's low key. Tire those jokers out so you can have some down time that night. I like the way you think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cindy, it's crazy how much I hear that. It sure doesn't feel like it's going fast when it's 3:00 AM and they are crying. I love it but it makes time stand still.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a father-to-be but I went to church, played golf in the afternoon and then went to my wife's parents house and grilled out. You can't beat Jesus, Golf and steaks all in the same day! :) I'm glad you had a great fathers day! 

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's to hoping Hayden won't be wearing that prison suit with you.  :)  Happy Father's Day Rob!!  

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Joseph. It sounds like you had a great Father-to-be Day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A 3 legged pig.  :)  It'll fit in the palm of your hand.  My dad has quite a collection of odd art, including many flying pigs.  But you know what is hard to find in VA?  Odd art & flying pigs.  *shaking head*  I gave it to him last week when I was in NC & he was quite happy with his little 3 legged pig!

    I got Josh a NASCAR racing experience to make up for the whole "I'd prefer you not go skydiving" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the way YOU think - my kids definitely are jokers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whose yo daddy?   JK.

    Hope you had a great Father's Day. Great pics.

    //TC//

    ReplyDelete
  19.  yes , i agree with you , becoming sa father have a lot of fun, congratulations

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.