Friday, August 27, 2010

Sorry Oprah - I Text While I Drive

I don't text and drive. A lot of times I'll text at a stoplight, but I don't text while driving on major roads. I NEVER text on the interstate because that would be crazy.

The other day my wife and I were going to dinner and I started texting while I was driving. I had good intentions. We were almost at the restaurant and I wanted to give her my full attention at dinner.  The next day we were leaving from a doctors appointment and I started texting in the parking lot.  She gently reminded me that I was driving precious cargo and that Oprah would be very upset with me (Oprah has a NO Phone Zone pledge that asks people to not text or talk on the cell while driving). 

In my mind I tell myself that I don't text and drive. I try not to do it often, but my actions with my wife show that I'm a triver (I made that word up. It's a texting driver) addict. 

Is it AA that says the first step is to admit you have a problem? Denial is convincing. It's easy to view myself as one thing, but really be something else.

A lot of times when someone makes a HUGE public mistake they will say something like, "I know I lied, but I'm not a liar," or "I am not a bad person," or "I know I got caught but this isn't who I am."

The question is how many times do you have to do something before you admit that it is who you are? We like to hide behind denial but it's a thin shield that everyone can see through. Whether it's an addiction, a bad behavior, or an ugly sin what we do is who we are.

I can no longer say that I don't text and drive. I'll try to do better, but my actions prove that it's in my blood. It's who I am. I can deny it or I can try to work on it.

5 comments:

  1. I love this Rob!- I tell my self all the time that I am really a skinny girl in a chubby body... then I drink a Venti Java Chip Frappaccino from Starbucks! Cheers to chubby girls:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful testimony my brother! Note that as a language is defined by its usage, I expect "triver" to show up in the lexicon very soon. From this small seed in your blog, it shall very quickly sweep the nation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, thanks.

    Daniel, as always you are very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit it too....:( sometimes i get mad at andrew for drive texting...but i do it too! :( GUILTY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the world's biggest no-texting and driving advocate. I think I put Oprah to shame. But I have to say that I am impressed that you admit it. Most people that I chew out about texting and driving do exactly what you just said and say (while they are texting and driving) "no I'm not texting, I'm just checking something." My sister was actually video chatting while driving with her hubby yesterday and swerving all over the place. I told her I was going to hurl her Evo right out onto the highway. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.