Monday, August 23, 2010

If I lived back then I would have been a genius

Monica (my wife) and I were recently discussing how hard it would be to live without air conditioning.  I think it's a sign of our times. We've become soft. Today when it gets hot outside the news talks about people dying. They are mostly old people, but they still die from the heat.  I didn't live in the days of the cowboys, but I've seen enough westerns to know back then they didn't have air conditioning and they wore hot leather chaps. I bet they smelled awful. The point is that years ago people didn't have air conditioning and I don't know how they survived. If I lived in the wild west I would have been forced to walk around naked. I hate being hot.

I think that if I lived back then I would have been a genius.  I'm not saying that I would be any smarter than I am today, but I think the lack of convenience would have forced me to invent stuff. Maybe I wouldn't know any better but I think not having things like air conditioning would force me to invent air conditioning.  Not having a toilet in my house I think would have forced me to invent the toilet. Just think, instead of referring to the toilet as the John or the Crapper (a reference to the inventor Sir John Harrington and the first person to patent the toilet Thomas Crapper) people might know it as the Rob or the Shepherd. On second thought I'm glad I didn't invent the toilet.

The point is that today we are incredibly blessed. We have things that other generations couldn't even dream of. It should make us feel thankful, but it seems like most people find something to complain about. Maybe the next time we start to complain we should think about how life would be without air conditioning. Just a thought.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts. I am among the transition generation that experienced a bit of life prior to indoor plumbing, air conditioning, and even TV and phones. Life is much easier, and way more comfortable today. Unfortunately, I don't see that people are any happier or more content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhahaah the shepherd :) haha good post...and idk how they lived in the west either..its been 101 all these past month...it is sad how blessed we are and how we (i) complain! Good thoughts thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny. I think it's miserable dealing with kids without AC too. They get all cranky and whiny. When ours broke earlier this summer everyone was miserable. Glad we don't have to live in the heat. I love summer, but it would be hard without the air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll leave a comment later, I just had a full plate of spicy bean burritos and I gotta go take a shep. Back later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pheww. I'm back. I'm not sure that I would have achieved as highly had I been born in the "olden days". I probably would have run right off the cliff with the buffalo herd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. luckily i'm perfecting a time-traveling segway, so i can travel back and get a headstart on those key inventions so i can cement my name in history

    oh! and that Student Activities job came about via knowing someone on staff, and one of the associate directors approaching me about coming on board with them. it's definitely a huge blessing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel, your comment made me laugh. You are funny.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.