Saturday, May 15, 2010

Movie Review: Robin Hood

Like Batman, James Bond, Zorro, and the Lone Ranger; Robin Hood is one of those classic characters that reemerge for each generation to enjoy.  As a kid I loved the Disney cartoon version of Robin Hood.  As an 8th grader I fell in love with the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. For this generation Ridley Scott once again teamed up with Russell Crowe (he directed Crowe in Gladiator) to give a new spin on a familiar tail. 

Lets start off with the good from this movie.  It's a very original take on a story that is very familiar.  This go around is almost like a prequel to Robin Hood's famous outlaw days.  This movie gives you a back story that you've never seen.  In fact it leads up to Robin becoming an outlaw and eludes to the hero he will become. 

Now for the bad...if you were expecting Gladiator Part 2 you will be sorely let down.  There are parts to this movie that I liked.  I found myself wanting to like it a lot.  The problem is the film is slow, the characters are at times dull, and the fight scenes are not epic enough.  It's not a bad movie, but it doesn't live up to it's potential.  I know that Kevin Costner has one of the worst English accents in movie history when he played Robin Hood, but I'd take Robin Hood Prince of Thieves over Robin Hood every day of the week. 

It's rated PG-13 for action violence. I give it one thumb up.

Rob's Rating System:
Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

7 comments:

  1. it was a good movie... but a good Robin Hood movie? meh. and it definitely wrapped up wayyy too quick. i feel like there's alot missing in between the final battle and the king's declaration of Robin as an outlaw. director's cut dvd, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christi BonesteelMay 15, 2010 at 9:07 AM

    I love your movie rating system!
    You did a good job of critiquing the movie without giving away too much... and i fully agree with you on kevin costner's butchering of the english accent... i hate when actors do that: get a coach, learn the accent and keep it up through the whole movie... shoot, through your whole line would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your review ...precisely what I was expecting. I do not think this movie needed to be made honestly. Sort of like Braveheart and the Patriot were very different movies the Mel Gibson characters were the same. This movie will forever be Robin Hood and Gladiator ...essentially the same characters set in a different time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to re-watch Kevin... I loved that movie. Agree with your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sad you only gave it one thumbs up i must be honest...i guess you are more a critic than i :) i loved all the actors that i didn't know was it...the red head from ER and Mr Darcy :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.