Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I have Andy Stanley's Cell Phone Number

I'm a fan of people I look up to. I like to stalk meet my favorite singers, actors, athletes, and pastors.  I don't know what it is about my personality that enjoys meeting them, but I love it.  Over the years I've had the chance to stalk meet...
  • TobyMac and dc Talk - Toby was a part of dc Talk. I had the privilege to stalk meet him and the other two members of dc Talk multiple times. They are my all time favorite band.
  • Needtobreathe - my current favorite band. I love their music and I've stalked run into them on multiple occasions.
  • Magic Johnson - He's my all time favorite basketball player.  I didn't really get to meet him but I did get close enough to snap a picture.
  • I met Super Bowl champ Mark Rypien. 
  • I beat Brent Price in a game of knock out while he was a player in the NBA.
  • I've stalked met the guys in Third Day, Audio Adrenaline, Michael W. Smith, David Crowder, Chris Tomlin, Grits, and multiple Newsboys.
  • I challenged and then lost bad to author and pastor Mark Batterson to a game of corn hole.  He wrote one of my all time favorite books "In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day."
  • I met former ESPN personality Steven A Smith while at a Lakers game. At the time he was my favorite NBA analyst.
  • I have Andy Stanley's cell phone number in my phone.  He's the Michael Jordan of pastors. I will never call that number. I don't think he knows I have it,but that's not the point. 
I get really excited about stalking meeting the guys I look up to. I become almost giddy.  I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to meet people you look up to.  I do however wish that it was that easy for me to get excited about spending time with God.  I mean I get really excited about meeting celebrities that won't remember me.  On the other hand every day I have the opportunity to talk to the God of the universe who not only knows my name but knows everything about me.  I'm praying that I become starstruck over God. I don't want to take Him for granted. It's pretty amazing thinking that the God of the Universe makes time for me.  That's better than having Andy Stanley's cell phone number.

12 comments:

  1. A few years ago I had a friend who was involved with an organization that brought in a musician who has probably had more influence on the way that I look at music, than any other. Well I asked (read "nagged") my friend and she gave me his email address. We corresponded multiple times about different things. Then...I asked if I was ever in town if he'd like to give me a tour around his record label...he said sure. He then gave me his phone number. I have never called it. But...I kind of freaked out a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post. I love that you (one of my pastors) can share on this topic about how your relationship with God. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, who is the musician? I'm very curious now.

    Daniel, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have Andy Stanley's phone number? No way! I want to hang out with him. I think it would be fun to go golfing with him and Louie and John Smoltz. I don't like to golf, but I imagine they do and would make it fun. I'd also like to hang out with Mark Driscoll..well actually, I would like Mark Driscoll to hang out with some guys I know and "impart" some wisdom to them.

    Also, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. next Blog Post "I have Carlyn's Phone Number" Sike! But I totally stalk famous people all the time, its cool we can start a club. I really want to meet Kelly Ripa we have the same birthday and she has amazing arms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would chicken out if I had a chance to meet someone famous. I wouldn't have a clue what to say without sounding like an idiot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. CristinMic, thanks for the comment! That would be a fun golf trip.

    Ryan, you so crazy.

    Carbaby, I'd love to meet her too. She's funny. Jamey's a good stalker. Let's take a trip to NY and make it happen. We will have to convince Monica though. She hates that type of thing.

    Austin Lee, Monica is just like that. She get's embarrassed when I stalk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark Batterson was a speaker at innovate. He spoke after Chuck Swindoll, haha. They will have all the innovate videos up soon on www.innovatechurch.us and at innovate we learned Catalyst One Day was happening at Thomas Road in October.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, catalyst one day is in my back yard...did not know that...

    nice post rob...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha. How the heck did you get Andy's digits?

    --Terrace Crawford
    www.terracecrawford.com
    www.twitter.com/terracecrawford

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrace, I cannot reveal my ways. I just know that it's the real deal.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.