Saturday, May 8, 2010

Movie Review: Iron Man 2

The summer movie season has officially begun. Iron Man 2 kicks off the popcorn season with a bang.  If you haven't seen the first Iron Man I recommend renting it.  It's a super hero movie but it feels different than all the other super hero movies.  It's a great movie.  Now on to the sequel...

Iron Man 2 picks up where the first one left off.  Tony Start is a billionaire playboy with issues.  He has a HUGE ego, self destructive behavior, and he's created a weapon in the form of an iron suit. With his suit he's created world peace while at the same time creating arch enemies. 

Iron Man is a good movie. It has great action sequences, humor, and Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark.  Downey has a way of making you love Start despite his flaws.  He is supported by a stellar cast including Gwyneth Paltro, Scharlett Johansson, Don Cheadle, Mikey Rourke, Samuel L. Jackson, and Jon Favreau.  Interesting note: Jon Favreau is the director of Iron Man 1 and 2, and he also directed the movie Elf with Will Ferrell.

In my opinion Iron Man 2 is not as good as the first one but it is still a really good movie.  I love the characters, the action, and the comic book references scattered throughout the film.  If you are not a comic book fan you may not know that Iron Man is setting up an eventual super hero powerhouse movie called the Avengers.  The Avengers include Iron Man, Thor (movie coming in May 2011), Captain America (movie coming in July 2011), and the Incredible Hulk.

Iron Man 2 is rated PG-13 for mild swears, and action/violence.  I give it (for the first time ever) one and 1/2 thumbs up.


Rob's Rating System:
Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
*One and 1/2 Thumbs up = It's not earth shattering, but it's a great popcorn flick. If you like this genre of film it's worth paying full price.  A definite DVD buy.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

7 comments:

  1. Well now that it has the " official " stamp of approval... I guess I will go check it out... What is the NEXT movie you are looking forward to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you survived the wait until this one came out. For I while I noticed that you were easily distracted and tended to drool a lot. As for me, I haven't seen either Iron Man movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice. cant wait to see this one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, Robin Hood comes out next Fri and then Shrek after that. The next one I'm really hyped on is the A-Team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved it too! did you stay after the credits for the "secret" scene?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake, I did and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love IM 1 so will check this movie out!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.