Friday, May 28, 2010

I Refuse to Be A Church Lady

I don't know at what age it happens, but at some age people become set in their ways and refuse to change.  You can see it in their wardrobe.  You can see it in the type of car they drive.  You can even see it in what type of church they attend.  I've been to churches that looked the exact same as they did 50 years ago. I don't know when it happens but I already see signs of it in my life.  I resist change like an old church lady.  Because of that I intentionally try to embrace some changes...even when I don't like it.  Case in point...
  • Facebook/Twitter - there was something in me that didn't want to do either.  I mean I like email.  Add to that the fact that I just got used to Myspace when all my friends jumped ship to Facebook. It might not be this way forever but for now social media is a great way to connect with people.   
  • Texting - I used to complain like a little old church lady about texting.  I thought it was stupid. I mean how hard is it to make a call from your cell phone. I remember the day when the phone was attached to the wall.  I remember when if you needed a phone in public you had to find and then pay for a dirty pay phone. No one carried a phone with them.  I resisted texting until one day I took a deep breath, and started practicing. Now I love to text.
  • My hair.  I've had the same hair style for about ten years.  Before that it didn't look much different...I added gel. I don't really have an idea as to what to do with my hair.  I think the rate at which it's falling out is going to force me to change. 
  • Redbox - I love going to the movie store to rent a movie.  I didn't want to go to some box that had limited rentals.  Due to the fact that all the video stores closed down around me I was forced to change. I know love the Redbox. 
Change is hard, but it's necessary.  If you don't change life passes you by.  Change brings new life, brings excitement, and challenges the status quo.  Even though the 80's and 90's were great decades for me I've got to face that the rest of the world is changing.  I can complain about it or I can use it to make a difference.  How about you do you resist change?

7 comments:

  1. i think you would look kinda funny as a church lady...you never know though. smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes look at young people and find jealousy rising up within me. I have always hated change and hung tightly to routine, however seeing young people living and enjoying life and new things, somehow still causes a deep yearning within me. Hence the jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a bit gender biased. With some exceptions, I tend to embrace change. I find change energizing and often seek ways to add, delete, change, or rearrange things. Exceptions are that I am not into fads and don't have to be the first in fashion or ownership of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mostly resist. Had a free cell phone for years despite my wife's insistance on change. Still hate texting and think Twitter is completely pointless. Although I use FB like most people use Twitter. Didn't want to switch to FB... MySpace was and actually still is a better site (as far as functionality and options... FB is a slight leg up in ease of use and a huge leg up in anti-spam).

    Yeah, not big on most change unless I can clearly see a benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. u r a man,
    why church lady?
    funny thoughts,
    Happy Sunday!
    Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know there are things I resist, but for the most part I like change...i like to change my facial hair about as much as Chris Daughtry and I actually just finished givng my self a fuax hawk for the first time ever...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just catching up on some missed blogs... I detest change. It's one of those things that I have the hardest time with.... I like who I like and what I like, "ain't broke... don't fix it".... That being said, I am learning to be more open to change, although I still resist a little :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.