Thursday, May 6, 2010

The 80's Ruled

I saw the above picture on Chad Swanzy's blog. As soon as I saw it I had one thought...the 80's were AWESOME!

Today there is a massive void of original, creative characters. Think about the things that make up pop culture today. Today is made up of sub par movies based on 80's classics like Transformers, and G.I. Joe. I'm amped about the new A-Team movie, but part of the reason I'm so excited is because I loved the A-Team growing up in the 80's. Music today hasn't produced a legend like the 80's Michael Jackson or Madonna in their prime. I dare you to come up with one pop culture character that is better than what the 80's produced.

I dare you to try to compete with Hulk Hogan, Mr. T, Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe, Ghost Busters, Voltron, Knight Rider, Super Mario, Rambo, Goonies, Indiana Jones, Dukes of Hazard, Pac-Man/Mrs. Pac-Man, He-Man, or two out of the three original Star Wars movies. Sure they may not all hold up well today but they were original and creative. The 80's ruled!

6 comments:

  1. I spent most of the 80s in a Turkish prison, so I did not recognize any of the figures in the drawing, except Boss Hogg. Get those Duke boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JT, Bieber, The Rock, Pokemon, Halo, Modern Warfare games, that online Warcraft game everyone plays, Twilight, Harry Potter... the list could go on and on...

    I like you grew up in the '80s so I don't know what kids like these days, but every decade has it's culture... I would completely disagree about originality... nearly everything is built on the past, including the '80s.

    '70s music paved the way for the '80s... GI Joe is as old as America... I don't know how well any of it will hold up, but I'm sure kids could come up with a long list of stuff that sounds ridiculous to us that will be the "classics" when they're our age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how 80's clothes and shoes are coming back now. Kids think they're so original, and I am thinking "I wore those pants 20 years ago". haha. ;) Wow...making myself sound old here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the eighties! But I'm gonna have to agree with dp. That it really is all a matter of perspective! Speaking of perspective, go read my blog which has nothing to do with perspective but has everything to do with me wanting you to read my blog right now. How's that for using a blog comment to shamelessly plug myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO ridiculously true. i just stumbled across a photo album on Facebook that a friend posted of all his old TMNT apparel/toys/etc etc... such a throwback. i'm pretty excited about the A-Team movie now, although at first I was a bit hesitant

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.