Monday, May 31, 2010

A Love Poem From College

In an attempt to not become hoarders my wife and I have been cleaning out closets and pantries. It's amazing how easy it is to collect junk.  It's also amazing how hard it is to get rid of said junk.  It's been really hard for both of us to get rid of some things.  Things that we haven't used or seen in years. 

While cleaning out some old boxes my wife found a poem that I wrote her in college.  I was very nervous when I gave her this poem.  I wrote it, printed it on nice paper, and then framed it.  Monica is not the overly sappy type so I didn't know how she'd feel about it.  I think she liked/likes it.  I mean after all, it didn't end up in the junk pile. It's a little cheesy and embarrassing, but just in case you are curious here is what the poem says...

The Things I've Learned From Knowing You
I've learned so much from knowing you that words could not contain.
I am so blessed to be with you, and so thankful to be led your way.

I've learned about my selfish ways, oh how I don't deserve
To be lost inside your kindness and encouraged by your words.

I've learned about sacrifice and what it means to care.
I don't deserve your faithfulness, but still you remain there.

I did not deserve the cross of Christ so I guess it would be grace
To be given the ability to look upon your face.

Because beauty is a gift that God gave us to love.
It comes in different forms from the sea on the shore or a sunset above.

But to experience life's beauties I would not be complete
For I've seen the shore and sunset and their beauty cannot compete. 

I've learned so much from knowing you that you must be from above
Because the greatest thing that I have learned is the ability to love.

6 comments:

  1. I love the poem! I know Monica loves it. That was really sweet of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a beautiful poem rob...you should write more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nicole.

    Brian, did you mean write more poems or write more in general? I don't know if I'll produce more poems. Maybe for my 50th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Killer. I think it is a healthy thing to be able to say these words to her today. I love you's should not die away after the first few months of marriage. They should never be viewed as sappy garbage that should be put away in the junk box. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, babe. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. I am sure Monica treasures those words and is touched that you had the courage to write them down. Don't ever let that go in your marriage. Keep on saying the sappy stuff. It is what a girl wants. Affection.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.