Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mixed CD's

I love a good mixed CD. You know, when someone puts a bunch of random songs and mixes it onto one CD. Over the years I've made lots of mixes for my wife. Some of our friends have ended up hearing the mixes and have then asked me to make them one. I typically make them for road trips, or for my wife's birthday. I have some rules that I try to keep when making a mix.
  • Put new songs on. This is tough because some songs are new but they are already played out. I try to find new music that is popular, but has not yet been overplayed.
  • Old songs. A great mix has old songs that you love. I tend to always put an 80's or 90's song on every mix I make.
  • Mix up the styles. A little hip hop, a dash of rock, a sprinkle of country, and then add in lots of pop and you have a good mix.
  • I take at least one risk. There are songs out there that I know I like but I know my wife doesn't know yet. I put one of those songs on the CD hoping that she'll like it. Sometimes it's a swing and a miss, but other times it helps create a home run CD.
  • Vary the pacing. Because most of my mixes are road trip CD's I put on more upbeat then slow songs. With that being said I believe it's crucial to include a good mid-tempo or slow song. When there is a slow song I try to pick it back up soon after.
  • Vary the bands. I try to not have the same artist on a mix more than once. Every once in a while I will put two songs on by the same artist, but I try to avoid this.
  • Know the type of music the person you are giving the CD to likes. I know Monica's type of music pretty well. I try to make CD's with her in mind.
  • Listen to the CD before you give it. Sometimes I listen to a CD and it just doesn't flow right. I'll go back and remix things up whenever that happens.

And there you have it. I can't promise everyone will love every mix you make, but following these rules has worked pretty well for me.

9 comments:

  1. i still have a mix tape my wife made me when we were dating....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do make a great
    mix! I am loving the one you gave me yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a playlist on my Ipod for a recent trip to Richmond. My husband may or may not have asked me to please not put songs more than 5 years old on the next one, and could it be less girl power, too? I can't help I like early 90s girlpower music!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mix CD is the distant relative of the mix cassette tape. So 80's dude. Now you're speaking my language, but you just need to speak a little louder sonny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, I hear your husband on the girl power thing. Maybe next time throw him a few manly songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you give us an example of a mix CD you've made?

    I never did understand why it's called a mix CD or a mix tape. Shouldn't it be a mixED CD?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy,

    Each Cd has 19 songs on it. Some reasent mixes included Walk this Way by Run DMC, Hey Soul Sister by Train, Young Forever (edited) by Jay-Z, Nothin on you by B.O.B, Tonight by Tobymac, One Day by Matisyahu, A couple of Glee songs have made some mixes, Love left to lose by Sons of Sylvia, and whenever I can I throw on some Needtobreathe. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and that would be why Rob Shep was our wedding reception DJ 13.5 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clair, that was a fun day for me. That has been my only DJ gig as of yet. Back then I used to make mixed tapes. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.