Wednesday, March 11, 2009

They Paved Paradise & They Put Up A Parking Lot...and the birds preferred it

Every year when it starts to get warm the same thing happens at my house. I open my front door and two birds fly...no scratch that dart out of the basket on my front door. It scares the pee out of me. They hover for a few seconds a few feet away like they are tough. They stare at me with their beady little eyes. This is intimidating. The birds either want to see if I'm going to leave or they are laughing at the bird bath that I just created when I peed myself. Normally I pretend to be tough and I stand my ground. After a few moments they fly into the woods. It's happened to both Monica (my lovely wife) and me at least once each year. No matter who it happens to the results are the same...they scare us silly. For some reason every year a bird will try to make a nest in the basket on our front door. Here is a picture of the basket.

It happened to me this week. I have to remove the basket for a day so the birds will go shack up somewhere else and forget about the basket. The thing that I don't understand is why they pick the fake flowers in my basket over the forest that is right outside my door. They could have any tree they want. Here is a pic of the view from my doorstep.

Sometimes in life we want what we can't have. Many times I find myself yearning for something new when I miss out on the forest that is around me. Whether it is having a conversation with someone and wishing I was a part of another conversation happening a few feet away, or wanting some new form of entertainment when my house is full of things to do. How come we are never satisfied with what we have? It's only after you lose what you love that realize how much you truly loved it. I don't know why birds try to nest in the basket on my door when there is an entire forest a few feet away. Maybe it's because it is different, or newer than the trees that have been around for years. Maybe it's because it's unlike what all the other birds have. Or maybe it's just because they like to scare me. Whatever the reason I find myself relating to those birds. Maybe one day I'll learn to appreciate what I have.

6 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to me one time at someone else's house. It scared the poo out of me because I was on the outside so they flew into my face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fowl Play. It reminds me of the time we returned home and thought a bird was caught in the fireplace chimney. It turned out to be a bat.
    Scary. I like your lesson for life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: today when I came home for lunch a bird had started making a nest in the basket. This was a different bird. I went inside and removed the basket. When I came out I had two new splats of bird poo. I think he was mad at me. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should let them build the nest and blog about it. It's good material.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post. maybe they are like us humans and want the latest and greatest, then tell all their friends about it, not bragging, just telling mind you. keeping up with the "tweety birds" next door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. between the deer in your driveway and the birds in your doorway, you guys could open a nature center of animals that won't back down.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.