Friday, March 27, 2009

Wrestling


When I was a kid I loved Professional Wrestling. Some of my favorite wrestlers were Ricky the Dragon Steamboat, Brutus the Barber Beefcake, The Junkyard Dog, Bret the Hitman Hart, Randy Macho Man Savage, and the Ultimate Warrior. But my all time favorite was Hulk Hogan.

The thing I loved about wrestling was that is was action packed. There was never a dull moment. The wrestlers were passionate, charismatic, and energetic.

I don't watch wrestling anymore, but I did read something that made me think of the glorious days of the WWF.

Stay with me on this one...

I recently finished reading Colossians in the Bible. At the very end of the letter the author writes, "Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured."

That phrase he is always "wrestling in prayer for you" has hit me like a figure four leg lock. I don't know anything about Epaphras except that he wrestled in prayer for the people he loved. I think that you can tell a lot about yourself by what your pray for. It's easy to get apathetic and complacent. It's easy to become selfish and only care about ourselves. I pray that God gives me a desire to wrestle in prayer for others. I want to wrestle in prayer not just when someone is sick, or when I need something from God. I want to wrestle in prayer for other people to get to know God.

10 comments:

  1. nice post. i have oft pondered that verse and what would fall into the prayer wrestling category. did i really wrestle today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring blog. It challenges me to think differently about prayer when I am reminded there actually is an opponent and that we fight against "principalities and powers" we may not even see (linking Col. and Eph.).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice (and deep) post today that has inspired me. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cool... definitely a verse to reflect upon. if only everyone's prayer life was akin to putting someone in the torture rack, followed by a flying elbow off the ropes

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post rob.

    i'm a little disappointed, though... in your list of favorite wrestlers... no love for jake "the snake" roberts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake, I did like Jake the snake. Apparently he is on the Christian speaking circuit now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little known fact about me: I am a HUGE pro-wrestling fan // No hatin.

    --Terrace Crawford
    http://www.terracecrawford.com
    http://www.twitter.com/terracecrawford

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should have made wrestling a cool or uncool... you know where I stand.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post, eventhough I am not a wrestling fan!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.