Friday, March 6, 2009

The Truth Part Two

Everybody lies, or so it seems. Because of this it makes it hard to trust anyone.

This week I took my car into the dealership to get an oil change. I had a coupon. I've tried really hard to take care of my car. Whenever there is a scheduled maintenance due to miles I take it in. I want my car to last. I normally take it into the dealership because I have coupons or because they do a good job at keeping track of what needs to be done to my car. The problem is whenever I go in for a simple oil change they call me with 8 other things that "need" to happen. They word it in a way that makes me feel like my life is in danger for driving my car on the road. I don't know anything about cars so I normally trust them. The problem is the issues they come up with always cost hundreds of dollars. My car only has 59 thousand miles on it and they treat it like it's a clunker. I want to trust the dealership, but my heart keeps yelling at me that they are taking me for a sucker.

I'm going to bring my car to a friend of mine to have him look at it. He is a great friend and I trust him. I should just bring my car to him in the first place but I don't want to take advantage of his kindness.

The funny thing is my friend could tell me the same things the car dealership tells me and I wouldn't think twice about it. He is in the same business. The difference is I know I can trust him. I know he won't take advantage of my naivete.

To Be Continued...

1 comment:

  1. Kim took her car to the dealer a couple weeks ago and they did the same thing. The oil change process ended up taking more than a day and they suggested that pretty much every fluid in the car be replaced. As we were leaving the dealer we found out they had started a new promotion where, for every dollar you spent you got a dollar toward future maintenance. It sounded like an awesome deal, except the catch was that it can't be used on anything they already told you needed to be done. They were just claiming things needed to be done so that you can't really use the promotion ever. I'd err on the side of not trusting the dealer after that.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.