Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Facebook the new Front Porch? Part One

Once upon a time people lived in community. I've read stories about how people used to spend hours out on the front porch of their house or of the local store. This is where people hung out, got to know one another, and share life. Back then everyone knew everyone's business because you saw it happen from the front porch. Back then kids were influenced by multiple adults because they hung around the front porch. My mom has told me stories of how growing up people used to come to her parents store to hang out on the front porch. She always had someone to play with because people hung out on the front porch. Things have changed.

Today we have built fences to guard our houses from others seeing in. We took away the front porch and nobody thought about the ramifications.

You see the front porch was important because it allowed you to get to know your neighbors. Because you hung out outside you actually talked with the people that lived near you. In my neighborhood nobody hangs outside. Everyone runs from their car to their house. I barely know my neighbors names, yet alone what is going on in their life. Back then people in relationship influenced kids. Today people in a TV influences kids.

I think that people crave the front porch in life. In my opinion that is one reason why Facebook is so BIG. I hear people say all the time that they love Facebook because it is a window into people's lives. It's the new front porch if you will. Facebook allows us to see what other people are doing, but it also allows us to talk to people even though they don't live in our neighborhood. It's a gathering place where life happens.

To be continued...

6 comments:

  1. Are you being compensated by Facebook corporate sponsors with this one? If I say nice things about that site, can I get my hands on the big, big money?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol daniel. the demise of the front porch is a sad endeavor. facebook, blogs and what not, seem only a pale glimmer compared to life truly spent with one another. sure they are great ways to communicate and open eyes to the inner heart, but there is something to be said of just being together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome analogy which I completely agree with. I think we are meant to be part of a community. Which may be why places like the OBX are so popular...small town...you are outside doing things (going to the beach) with people you don't know. That's really awesome Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you may be on to something, Rob. Electronic communication has brought us closer and gives additional insight into the ordinary daily thoughts and activities. Brian also makes a good point. Things I remember from the front porch days are actions as well as words. Kids were chasing lightning bugs, men were playing horseshoe, and women were sometimes crocheting. There was laughter and action, as well as words. From my recollection, 2 inventions curbed the front porch society--TV and air conditioning. However, good things have a way of re-surfacing in a different form--Facebook, community groups, even Twitter may be back to the future kind of movements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with brian... all this online stuff is great, but it pales in comparison to face-to-face time with the people that matter most in your life

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting way of looking at it. I love facebook/blogging, etc...and I think the reason is just like you said: people just like knowing what's up with everybody else. :) I think as Christians we need to maintain/seek out face-to-face relationships regardless, but its fun to keep up with people this way, also.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.