Friday, March 6, 2009

The Truth Part Four

I don't really have any answers to this series of posts. It does bother me that lying is so prevalent. It bothers me because it causes people to not trust others. For example almost every time I speak in Big Church (Sunday mornings to the whole church) someone will question a story that I tell. In fact their exact words are something like did you make that story up, or is that story true? They may not mean to but what they are implying is that as a pastor I would stand up on a stage and lie to make a point.

I think one of the only ways I can win others trust is to be trustworthy. Over time people will trust me because they know me. My goal is to become like my friend who works on cars (The Truth Part Two). I trust him because I know him. Even though a lot of other people in his business are liars, I trust him because I know him.

When I was growing up in church my pastor used to always say this prayer from the Bible, "may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your site, oh Lord, my rock and my redeemer. For some reason that stuck with me. It's a prayer that I pray often. I want my words to please God. Because God is truth I want to represent Him with my words. Therefore my words have to be truthful. Just something to think about.

Concluded.

2 comments:

  1. nice series of posts. i think in many cases we lie to protect or project ourselves. To gain status, not look so bad, stay out of trouble. the fear of the consequence is lesser than the fear of the action. once you start it becomes a slippery slope as you saw with the student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I'd like to say that a story (not a first hand account) could be told that's not a true story to make a point and if it's not stated as being true, it's not lying.

    Second, being truthful isn't always the right thing to do. EVERYONE tells half truths or deflects from the honest answer or tells "white lies". It's how the world works peacefully.

    Your cooking example is a good one. What good comes of you saying, "That is gag nasty" when asked how you like something that was made for you? Even saying, "I don't really care for it" is a "lie" if you truly think it's "gag nasty".

    I'm not saying that people don't lie too much, or more than they "need" to, but I at times, have a reputation of being brutally honest... it makes me seem like a jerk, I don't think it's a good thing. I do it in the name of honesty. Is that pleasing to God? I really don't think so.

    My 2 cents are free.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.