Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Crazy People

I have a hard time dealing with crazy people. I am around people all the time. I think I do a good job at relating to almost anyone. In fact when I first meet a person I try to find a common ground. Whether it's sports, movies/TV, religion, pop culture, food, or simply life I try to find something in common with whoever I talk to. There is one thing that I have a hard time relating to. I have a difficult time dealing with crazy.

Last night I went to a meeting for The Big Dream at Waters Edge Church. It was held at a local coffeehouse/restaurant called Tuscany's. Tuscany's was nice enough to close early so we could have our meeting. I arrived a few minutes early and started talking with a friend of mine who happens to manage Tuscany. At the entrance sat a guy who had crazy written all over him. My friend was trying to gently persuade him to leave because they were closing early to the public. He didn't budge. My friend started talking with me. Midway through the conversation my friend turned to him and said she would be with him in one minute. He took that to mean...please interrupt and tell a crazy story. He started talking about his mom who was a great Christian. He then said she died. Now you have to understand this guy, for some reason, was carrying a paddle. It was a big paddle. A paddle like you see at fraternities. He held up this huge paddle and said he carried it around for his dead mom. I don't do well with crazy so I started to look for a way out of the conversation. The next thing I heard was the word murder.

Luckily my friend noticed that I don't do well with crazy and she said "Rob can you help me move some things over here". I quickly walked with her to the other side of the restaurant. I need to do a better job relating to crazy.

10 comments:

  1. So what eventually happened with the crazy paddle guy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You relate to me just fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA wow.... I could go on for days about the crazies I've encountered through work & then just random occurrences. There's a regular @ Aroma's coffee shop in City Center that will interrupt your conversations and talk about the most absurd stuff... like his right to own a firearm as a felon, even though his "firearm" is a flare gun on his sailboat... ???? And then the wandering nomadic character known as "Walking Wayne" in Poquoson who tells the most tall tales ever. He's visited Dracula's castle, fought in 3 wars, and owns several mansions in Florida. I think I subconsciously attract crazy-folk... because I love having more ridiculous stories to tell

    ReplyDelete
  4. but you seemed to get along with me so well, rob...

    i love crazy people, they always have such interesting stories.

    nice post, wish i coulda been there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like your wife, being a teacher like me, has also delt with her share of crazy.

    next time we meet, perhaps we can share a "crazy story" moment. I have plenty to share.

    I'm glad you had an observant friend with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! But do you ever "really" want to do THAT well with crazy? Sure, getting spooked every once and a while is one thing....but I think the day you notice that you aren't getting those situations anymore is because you ARE one. lol
    Too funny...although I'm sure not funny at the time. Another reason to have awesome friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weird. Not you. But him... Just plain weird. And a bit scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crazy person with a paddle -- I would have walked away also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scott, eventually the crazy paddle guy left. I was nervous he was going to be standing by my car hours later wanting to finish his crazy story. Luckily he didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a crazy guy on our street. He walkes up & down the street all the time. If you notice him walking several times a day that is not a good sign. It's like, OH NO..J_____ is fixing to blow. If it bothers you to hear the F word then if you come to my house and you see a crazy guy walking down the street, DO NOT get out of your car or roll down your window. I have lived her for 23 years now and it has been going on sonce I moved here.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.