Thursday, March 12, 2009

Movie Review - Madea Goes to Jail

A few years ago some friends of mine got into watching plays on DVD. These weren't Broadway plays, no they were plays staring a BIG African American man playing an old woman called Madea. That was when I was first introduced to Tyler Perry (creator and star of the Madea franchise). Since then Tyler Perry has gone on to make multiple movies, create two hit TV shows, and basically rule the world.
Madea goes to Jail is Tyler Perry's newest movie staring his ha-larious alter ego Madea. There are two reasons why I go to see a Madea film. One: Madea makes me laugh. Two: The message of the films is always uplifting and points towards a relationship with God. It's as if Tyler Perry has created the character of Madea as a way to relate to people. It makes his message come off a lot less preachy then other films with a God message. For this movie the main theme is forgiveness. It's a great message that many people need to hear.
The movie was entertaining and it had a good message. If you haven't already seen it and really like the Madea franchise I would go see it for a matinee. For everyone else I give it a thumb to the side.

Rob's Rating System: Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD. One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin. Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it. Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD.

5 comments:

  1. i have only seen "Diary" at this point...why the thumb to the side? curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Perry's creation and portrayal of Madea. She is over the top, but captures a daring stereotype of an impossible, irregular, person who is still lovable because she doesn't hold back. She is who she is, no pretense, no hypocrisy--just Madea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, the acting is not the best overall. A couple of the actors do a great job, but a few of them aren't great. I am a hard critic. It was good but I am glad that I didn't pay full price. We hit the $5 movie during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmmm... kinda bummed that it got a thumbs to the side, but i trust robshep.com enough to know I'll only matinee (if my incredible boyfriend pays) or redbox it. Oh, and thanks for the blog ideas!!! Let me know how many visits my facebook status generates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bro... I LOVED it. Its my kind of movie. I like the Madea humor though.

    /TC/

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.