Monday, September 22, 2008

How good are you?

There was an episode of the 80's TV show Growing where Mike Seaver (Kirk Cameron) questioned how good of an actor he was. This was a later episode where Mike was pursuing acting. In the show he thought his co-star in a play he was doing stunk , but everyone else thought she was brilliant. It made him question if he was the one without talent.

I recently read that most people think they are better than they really are. This would explain why every year untalented singers try out for American Idol, and they actually think they can sing. According to the article I read most people think they are better actors, singers, preachers, teachers, friends than they really are.

So here's the question...how do you gage how good you are? I'm not talking about morals here. I'm talking about how good you are at your job, at life, at what you think you are good at. Comment.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty competitive, which can be a blessing and a curse. I had to learn early on that if I try to comete with others its not the most healthy. So I compete with myself. Can I be better this time than I was last? I guess this is more a gauge of success than how good I actually am. Usually there is someone better out there...somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Brian Miller's comment. I think it's a good way to look at it. In my profession it's easy to use the amount of money you make as a gauge, but exceptional service doesn't always translate into more money at least not in the short term. I try to follow Brian's advice and only play against myself.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.