Monday, November 1, 2010

Why Do They Call You Christian?

I often wonder about things. I don't know the reason, but I enjoy knowing why. I want to know why a jean company would put pant sizes on the outside of the jeans for the world to see. I want to know why it's impossible to pop all the kernels in a bag of microwavable popcorn? I'd love to know why I'm 5"10, and I love basketball, while at the same time my lil brother is 6"1 and could care less about basketball.  With it being Halloween weekend there were multiple scary movies on TV. My wife mentioned that the movie Halloween 3 was on, and that it didn't have Michael Myers (the main villain) in it.  I wanted to know why, so I googled it.  The point is that I like to know why.

Now this is something that you might not care about, but have you ever wondered why people were first called Christians? It started during a severe time of persecution. Christ Followers were so severely attacked that it lead many to leave their homes and relocate to different parts of the world.  There was a group in Antioch who was making so much noise people called them Christians.  Now when I write noise I'm saying they were yelling like a bunch of banshees.  They were making a difference with the way that they lived. They were telling people about Jesus and so many people were affected that they were called Christians. 

Many believe that the name was meant to be a derogatory name. The Bible says, "They were called Christians." - Acts 11:26.  They were called this name because of the way they lived.

If someone looked at my life I wonder what they'd call me? It's easy for me to get wrapped up in my life. It's easy for me to spend most of my time thinking about me. It's easy for me to call myself a Christian and yet live completely for me. 

I want to live a life where people call me Christian. I don't want it to just be something that I call myself. I want my life to make such a difference people can't help but notice my God. 

Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. - 1 Peter 2:11-12.

2 comments:

  1. This is great Rob! If you check my last post on fb last night, you will see how this so very much applies. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, there is no mistaking you! You are indeed a "Christian" and a Christian.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.