Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Things I'm Thankful For On This Thanksgiving

In some ways this has been a difficult year. After much prayer we decided to use IVF to try and get pregnant. This was an expensive decision. My wife and I hate debt. We have no credit card debt and we like it that way. I lost sleep thinking about the amount of debt that we'd incur through IVF. After seeking some Godly wisdom my mind was put to rest. This was the right move for us.

God blessed our decision and after six years of trying, we became pregnant on our first try with IVF. It is a miracle that Monica is pregnant. It's just as big of a miracle that we have been able to stay pregnant. Through the last 18 weeks we have had multiple scares. Hearing Monica yell out "Rob I miscarried" was an awful experience. Thankfully the babies have remained healthy and the scares have been...well, just scares.

Dealing with the ups and downs of this pregnancy led me on an emotional roller coaster. So much so that I think it was what triggered a three week struggle with depression. I sought help through a Christian counselor, and things have been great ever since.  We are so blessed that I don't want to come off as complaining about the few ups and downs that we've had.  I know that compared to some our struggles have been mild. For us though it's been the hardest year of marriage. 

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect and give thanks. As I reflect over our year I can't help but thank God for the amazing blessings that I have.  On this Thanksgiving there are some things that I'm extremely thankful for...
  1. Eating large amounts of amazing food on Turkey Day. Now this isn't really any different than a typical day for me, but the difference is that over eating on Thanksgiving is expected and acceptable.
  2. I'm jogging in my first 5K on Thanksgiving. I'm still not sure why they call it a 5K. I think it means 5 thousand laps. I hope it's a short track.
  3. My wife is pregnant on Thanksgiving! We have to wait until Dec. 8 to find out the genders. This week Monica has been on a mission to find an ultrasound machine to find out the genders a little early. If she accomplishes her mission this will be an extra special Turkey Day.
  4. My family. I love Thanksgiving because our families get together. We have a tradition where we celebrate Thanksgiving with my family on Wed. and then we celebrate with Monica's family on Thursday. It helps spread out the yummy goodness. And no matter what happens my dad will declare, "I think this has been the best Thanksgiving ever."
  5. Thanksgiving = Christmas. The Christmas season officially begins on Thanksgiving. As soon as Santa appears in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade it's officially acceptable to celebrate Christmas. Christmas tees and decorations are displayed, Christmas music is played everywhere, ugly Christmas sweaters come out of the closet, I send out my Christmas list, and the holiday movie season begins. It's the most wonderful time of the year!
  6. Waters Edge Church is at the best place that's it's ever been. That's saying a lot because it's always been a great place. This Thanksgiving I'm so thankful for the new staff that we've been able to hire. With their help we are taking Waters Edge to a whole notha level! I'm thankful for Cara, Carlyn, Josh, Bishop Larry T, Mr. Anderson, and Josh Fowler. Welcome to the team!
  7. Noodles. Now that may sound strange and I understand that. Who has noodles for Thanksgiving? I do. It's a tradition that I think my grandma started years ago. These noodles are strands of lip smacking joy. I can't wait for the noodles.
  8. Hanging out with Ruth Peters. Ruth is, my buddy, Dan's mom. She's 2 legit to quit and she's in town. We get to hang out with her on Friday.
  9. Friends. I love my friends. I love having some time off so that we can hang out. Love em.
  10. Catching up on movies. I'm off Tuesday - Saturday and good portion of my time will be spent watching movies. DVD's, classics, and movies in the theater. Can you dig it?!!!!
I've given you ten things I'm thankful for, and now it's your turn. What is one thing that you are thankful for this year?

11 comments:

  1. I am thankful for the blessing of my daughter. A prouder papa there never was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for my family -- without whom I would not be who I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankful for you and Stu and your leadership!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meema92, thanks for the comment. It's a blessing to have a great family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel, I think you are a good papa as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thankful for my husband and son. I'm thankful for my church. But I think most of all I'm thankful that God is with me even on my toxic days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very thankful that although Reed and I are spending the year apart, our marriage is as healthy as ever! Its a miracle and a testament that we are where God wants us right now! I'm aso thankful for Anna and how amazing she is because I could NOT do this year alone if she had a different temperment! She is easily the BEST 9 year old girl I know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEAH! I LOVE your thankful list! especially number 8! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really thankful for my husband, some guy you may know named Billy. :) He's really growing and learning a lot about being a great husband and a great dad...it's great to see.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.