Monday, November 29, 2010

Back Off That Ledge

This post is not about basketball.

Last off season Lebron James and Chris Bosh joined Dwayne Wade in Miami.  A huge over reaction occurred immediately. The media went crazy, fans formed opinions, and most people crowned them the next NBA champions.  One analyst went so far as to say that they would beat Michael Jordan's Bulls record of 72 wins in a season.  Currently their record is 8 and 7 and they have lost 3 straight.  Now the analysts are on a ledge and declaring panic. The problem is that they play 82 games and we are a long ways from the playoffs. How quickly the analysts forget last year's Boston Celtics. The Celtics were not good last year during the regular season and yet they were one game (and an injury) away from winning the title.  But this post isn't really about basketball...

Most of us live out on the ledge. We panic too quickly. We rush to conclusions. We climb out the window, stand on the ledge, and threaten to jump because it's just too bad.  I've been there.

The problem is that most of the things we freak out about aren't really that big of a deal. In fact most of the things we worry about never happen. Think about it...what was the last thing you worried about? Most of the time it's hypothetical worries that consume us. What if she leaves? What if they don't like me? What if I lose my job? What if I fail? We create scenarios and then freak out about them. We create drama because we forget that the outcome hasn't been written.

Whenever I'm on the ledge it is a clear picture that my perception is out of whack. It shows that I'm overestimating my problem and underestimating my God.  I overestimate how bad things really are or will be and I underestimate an all powerful being. The God who parted the Red Sea, helped a Shepherd boy slay a Giant, and even raised the dead is the same God who can handle our situation.  What are you freaking out about? Take a deep breath and back off that ledge.

I'm hoping that the Miami Heat don't win a title. I'm a Lakers fan! At the same time I think it's too early to hit the panic button. We don't know how it's going to end. Like I said though...this is not about basketball.

7 comments:

  1. Anxiety and fear and negativity and regret and worry are all major issues that I deal with on a day by day basis. They are all associated with being out on that ledge. Cognitively I know about the futility of all that is churning through my mind, yet I still can't unload this weight from my shoulders. The times when my load is the lightest are when my mind is focused on positive things. However, getting and/or maintaining that focus is very difficult for me. Dang, I wish this was about basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder. My husband and I have a quote from Cal Coolidge that we often use and have proven in our own lives. "When you see 10 troubles coming down the path, you can usually count on at least 9 falling by the wayside before they get to you. There is also a scripture we may almost make trite, but there is a powerful truth in "All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purposes."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! Thanks for that uplifting advice! I am going to post this where I can see it, so the next time I go into a nervous panic ~ I can remember who is in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob this is such an AWESOME Post!! I have been living life on the ledge for ahwile now BUT God keeps showing me over and over how much HE is in control and not me : ) It is so comforting to be able to sit back and watch God at work I'm so thankful that I am learning how to recognize it more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kwmcp13 thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad this helped. I live out on that ledge and have to remind myself of this often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Heather thanks for the encouragement and thanks for leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care who does it, as long as someone beats LA. Preferably the C's, but I get a $100 if the Heat does it.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.