Friday, November 26, 2010

Run Fat Boy Run

So yesterday I jogged in my first 5K. I had some thoughts as I huffed along...
  • I was glad they posted signs that showed where to jog. I don't have a great sense of direction and I was afraid I'd end up in Williamsburg. That's about 30 miles away from the race for those of you who don't live in the 757.
  • I was definitely in the top 5 fattest participants. For those of you who skim I wrote fattest and not fastest. If you count the people who walked then I might fall out of the top 5.
  • I jogged with my brother. I've been training for about 2 months. He was supposed to train with me, but he only made it out once. That was two months ago. He still finished before me. I did find out that when he ran track in high school he ran a mile in 4 minutes and 30 seconds. I asked him if we do a 10K next year if he'd skip the training. He said no.
  • Pretty early on in the race my brother stepped in dog poo.  I know this because he was in front of me for most of the race. Not only could I see it, but I could also smell it.
  • I cramped up really bad around 1 1/2 miles. I woke up at 6:00 AM and made the poor choice to eat breakfast. I thought it would digest by race time at 8:30. I had Frosted Flakes. They're Gr-rr-reat!!!...except on race days.
  • Some people take 5K's way too serious. One guy yelled at two girls to get out of his way. 
  • Around the mile marker we saw people running back towards us. I told my brother that they were running the wrong way. He told me that they had already made it to the halfway mark and were running back towards the finish line.  
  • Some people jog in costumes. I can't decide if those people are gifted or crazy. I sweat way too much to add a costume.
  • It was a lot of fun seeing friends at the race. I ran into some high school friends, our neighbors, and some church friends.
  • My wife and sister in law surprised us with a home made sign to cheer us on. I loved having their support.
  • My parents also came to support us. I felt very loved by all the support.
  • Lots of people asked if I was now addicted. I'm not. I enjoyed it and I hope to make this a yearly tradition, but I'm not addicted.
  • My time was 32.30. That's fast for me. Here are some pics of my first 5K...

Pictured Above: My nephew Connor rock'n his bear outfit.

Pictured Above: Nicole and Connor followed by my Dad and Mom.


Pictured Above: Rob and Jon posing before the race.

Pictured Above: And we are off

Pictured Above: The former Waters Edge Intern - Thomas. He killed it.

Pictured Above: My brother Jon crossing the finish line.


Pictured Above: Rob looking really tired as he crosses the finish line.

9 comments:

  1. Great work. This is a pretty big deal for several reasons. And to think, nobody was chasing you with a big machete!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should rent the british film run fat boy run..pretty funny :) Way to go Rob!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I've seen it. It's really funny and inspired the name of this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dave. I'm not in your league yet, but maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look like your about to fall asleep in that last pic but you ran 10min miles nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob you should sign up for the snowshoe marathon I'm running this March in VT.
    You're old pal, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all.... Connor is so stinkin' adorable!
    And dude.... you rock! That is awesome! I would have never made it! Go you!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.