Friday, November 19, 2010

Influence Shout Out

Influence: a power to affect persons or events.

Who has influenced you? I am who I am because of the influence of the following people...
  • My dad and mom - my dad has influenced my love for movies and having a sense of humor. My mom has influenced my writing. She is the one who signed me up to write movie reviews for the Daily Press. I wrote for a full year while in high school. I enjoyed it so much that when I started a blog I continued writing movie reviews.
  • Tripp and Tyler - I don't know Tripp and Tyler but their videos and sense of humor have had a great influence on me. They are ha-larious. Waters Edge has had a good handful of videos that were inspired by these guys. Whenever I need a little humor inspiration I watch one of their videos.
  • Pat Pettit - When I was in 9th grade I met Pat. He was my Sunday School teacher and then he became my youth pastor. Pat was the first guy that when he preached I paid attention. He was engaging, passionate, and funny.
  • Monica Shepherd - my wife has influenced my confidence and ability to speak my mind.
  • TobyMac - I like to rap. I wouldn't lead with that in a conversation or put it on my resume, but I enjoy preforming.  I've been watching Toby in concert since I was in 6th grade. I'm not to his level by any means, but I pretend to be when I get a chance to rap on stage at Waters Edge.
  • Stu Hodges - Stu is a type A personality. I'm not. His work ethic and drive have greatly influenced me.
  • Rosie O'Donnel - Do you remember her daytime show? It was funny and very entertaining. There was a time in my life where I started being embarrassed about some of the things I loved. I get really excited around celebrities. I love super heroes. I still enjoy watching cartoons. It was during my first year of college that I started feeling embarrassed about things I liked. I felt like I needed to grow up. Watching how much fun she had on her show made me think that it's possible to be an adult and still enjoy things from your childhood. So in that regard she definitely influenced me.
So who influenced you? Give em a shout out in the comment section.

5 comments:

  1. my grandmother--Grace - I never knew her in any cognitive way (she died when i was a baby), but as the first Native American on the Board at UNC-CH, an educator, a mother of 3, a wife of a powerful man, a strong and faithful Christian, and a beauty, she has influenced me to be the best I can be to leave a legacy for generations to come. she could also cook like nobody's business, apparently, which is awesome.

    my mom - i always thought it was...different...that she didn't go to a 40/hr week job. instead, she volunteered for a bajillion different organizations, played tennis, was home when i got home from school, served at her church, had friends that she lunched with, stayed connected to her family who lived out of town, had some sort of dinner on the table for the family most every night (which we HAD to sit down to together). NOW, i realize that she was finding the balance most women dream about as a mother, a wife, a friend, an advocate, and a professional.

    melissa horton - cancer WAY too many times, and not a bitter bone showing in her body? seriously? how can this woman NOT be a hero?

    bethany poteat - from the moment i read her facebook blurb: "I love Jesus, myself, my husband and my kids! My family is awesome! And I love my church. Waters Edge Church is awesome!" i thought that this woman has her priorities in line. since then, i have learned what an amazing person she is--that she is all the wonderful things that everyone in the world thinks, but that she is also REAL--she gets mad, frustrated, sad, overwhelmed, and irritated. BUT--even with those emotions, her quote remains true and her heart is huge.

    that's a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul - my pastor from my last church who brought me to God and was a friend when I needed one. We stay in touch through facebook and blog-dom.

    Dan - a colleague from my University who listened to me and took me to where I needed to be when there was only darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tripp and Tyler too - they rock! I also enjoy Bryan Allain. He has a blog (http://bryanallain.com/) that is pretty hilarious and also does a podcast called the Fresh Pod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK bit disappointed your Aussie mate didn't make the list!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, you make a good point. I stand corrected. It won't happen again.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.