Thursday, June 17, 2010

Movie Review: The A-Team


I pity the fool who didn't love the A-Team in the 80's.  As a kid I absolutely loved the show! I had the action figures, watched Mr. T's cartoon because of it, and would regularly say, "I pity the fool." For years there has been talk of an A-Team movie.  I was incredibly skeptical until I saw the previews.  It's incredibly difficult to take an iconic show and turn it into a good movie.  Mission Impossible and the Fugitive are exceptions to the rule.  Most TV shows turned into movies become spoofs of the show.  Think the Brady Bunch movie, Starsky and Hutch, or Dukes of Hazard. 

I think the creators of the A-Team movie did a great job recreating the characters.  It's one of the better TV shows turned to movies.  The movie is funny, has ridiculous action, and a relatively good plot.  The movie is not an Oscar contender, but like the TV show it wasn't made for critics.  If you were a big fan of the show I think you will appreciate the movie. If you are looking for a good popcorn flick to escape the summer heat I think you'd like the A-Team.  If you are looking for an Oscar worthy movie...stay at home. 

The A-Team is rated PG-13 for intense action/violence, and a bunch of minor swears.  I give it one thumb up.

Rob's Rating System:
Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

4 comments:

  1. I remember the hype of the T.V. show when it first came on the scene. One thing I always found odd was that nobody ever died on the T.V. show. Helicopters would fly into mountains and explode, and then all the bad guys would step out of the rubble coughing and dusting themselves off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice. i used to watch it al the time...and i actually perused the graphic novel of the movie to see i it was going to be any good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your reviews. Better than those lousy movie critics. I never really watched the a team. Are you gonna do a review on the new twilight movie??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austin Lee, I don't know if I'll go see that one. If Monica doesn't make it with her friends I'll take her, but if she does I may just let her review it.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.