Friday, June 25, 2010

Movie Review: The Karate Kid

I'm not ashamed to say I LOVE the original "Karate Kid" movie.  It's one of my top 20 favorites of all time.  As a kid I loved imitating the crane kick, quoting "wax on wax off", and wearing my Karate Kid headband outside to play. Yeah I had the official headband!  It was just like the one Danielson wore in the movie. It came with the official Karate Kid t-shirt...that I also wore with pride.

After staring with his son, Jaden, in the "Pursuit of Happiness" Will Smith was trying to think of a movie franchise that his son could star in.  After watching Jaden practice Karate, Will pitched the idea to remake the Karate Kid.

Will Smith's version of the Karate Kid is essentially the same movie as the original.  They've changed a few things like moving the story to China instead of California, having the star actually be a kid instead of a 23 year old playing a teenager, and making the action impossible to duplicate by kids.  There is no way kids are going to be copying this films version of the "crane kick." It's amazing!

I think that if you are under the age of 20 and you don't have a deep attachment to the original you'll love this version of the Karate Kid.  The action is intense, the humor is family friendly, and the acting is top shelf.  It was too much like the original for me to really love it.  I liked it, but it felt too much like a copy of the real thing.  Most of the time when you copy a film it doesn't come off better the second time around. 

The Karate Kid is rated PG for a few a$$ words and some intense action scenes.  I give it one thumb up (but if you are under 20 I'd give it one 1/2 thumbs up for you.)


Rob's Rating System
Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
*One and 1/2 Thumbs up = It's not earth shattering, but it's a great popcorn flick. If you like this genre of film it's worth paying full price. A definite DVD buy.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

3 comments:

  1. I have my boy bands, you have your Karate Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the original karate Kid. I didn't imitate the crane kick, but I loved the movie. I even had a professor use it for an assignment in grad school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica, that must have been a really cool prof.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.