Thursday, June 3, 2010

Today I Wear A Lakers Jersey

It's not always easy being a Lakers fan.  Sure we have won the second most NBA Championships.  Sure we have one of the leagues all time best players.  Sure we have the greatest coach in the history of the game.  There are a lot of great things that come with being a Lakers fan, but it's not always easy.  Case in point...
  • Most my friends gave up on the NBA after Larry Bird retired. They tell me how lame they feel the NBA is on a regular basis. To make matters worse if they did root for a NBA team it would probably be the Celtics. To counter I tell them how white they are.  I know it's not a great comeback coming from a white guy, but seriously why are all white people Celtics fans?
  • The games don't come on till 10:30 PM during the regular season.  I know they are a West Coast team, but baseball games and football games find a way to have games on at a decent hour of the day  in the East Coast.  I fall asleep at 10:30 no matter what's going on.  Because I get so tired it really feels like a mild form of torture for me to stay up till 1:00 AM to watch a game. 
  • Tickets to games cost a bazillion dollars.  Add to that the fact that VA doesn't have a team so I have to spend extra money to go see them play in some other teams stadium.  That means I'm cheering against the home team.  A Mav's fan once looked me in the eyes and said "I think all Lakers fans should be shot!"
  • It's the third most popular sport in America.  Football gets all the love. Baseball is considered America's past time.  Basketball has more love than hockey, but that's not saying much because hockey's a foreign sport.  No offense hockey fans.
  • To show my support I wear Lakers jerseys.  I have 7 jerseys.  Wearing a jersey is not an easy thing. Many people consider them to not be fashionable.  For most jobs they are not appropriate work attire.  When I wear mine in public I get the strangest looks from people.  By the looks of some you'd think I was wearing my underwear over my jeans.
Today the Lakers start their quest for their 16 NBA Championship.  To show my support I'm wearing a Lakers jersey.  I may get joked on.  I may feel uncomfortable in nice restaurants.  I may lose some cool points from whoever keeps score of cool points. It doesn't matter to me.  The Lakers are in the finals and that means that today I wear a Lakers jersey!

15 comments:

  1. God allowed you to be a Lakers fan, kind of like God allowed satan to pick on Job. It will pass and you will see the greenish light that is the Boston Celtics. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel - Spoken like a true white supremacist. I kid I kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Rob I'm not a true fan of any team, but since rooting for the Lakers when you, Christ Senger, and me used to watch them, it's my natural inclination to pull for them...even if I tried not to, I would still root for them...so I'm with you during these finals and

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Billy. Those days are some of my favorite memories of all time. I loved that time of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not what you would call a sports fan but for a party I will become one. Today I will root for the Lakers until 9:30 that is my bed time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm Go Yankees!
    I love watching baseball live not on tv so when I met Amy and found she was a yankees fan it kinda intimated me ...she is teaching me more about the game ...so I am by proxy a yankees fan and honestly I love it.
    I watched basketball up until Jordans first retirement ..and I was a diehard Lakers fan ...I loved Magic and Kareem, Worthy, Rambis, AC Green and Pat Riley. I believe basketball is a lot more fun to watch on TV than most other sports and the money is not crazy stupid like football. I think the reason I dont watch it now is because I just cannot keep up with the number of teams and players. I agree that not having a team nearby is also a deterrent. Wear your jersey proudly. I wear my Yankees stuff all the time. Wooohoo!
    new post cause of critical spelling error lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carlyn, I hear ya about the bed time. Tonight you will be a Lakers fan for circa 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like basketball too much. I'm a bigger fan of the top 2 sports you listed.

    I can understand the strange looks you get when wearing a jersey (over a t-shirt). I didn't get it until you wrote your comparison, but wearing a jersey over a t-shirt does kinda look like wearing (oversized) underwear over your pants.

    Oh, and I keep track of cool points. I am also authorized to issue and retract them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. makes me wanna bust out my #23 Bulls jersey that I wore ALL THE TIME back in the day. and find all my mint-condition basketball cards, in their plastic protector cases

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited about the game tonight! I couldn't wear a jersey to school, but I am wearing a purple shirt with a yellow cardigan & matching sandals. Three of my students wore yellow today just for me & the game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. CristinMic, good to know about the cool points. How does one get issued to do that? I pretend to be issued and dish em out, but it's not official like you. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jake (to the) Holla, but it out man. Then I won't be the only white guy rocking a jersey in the 757.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monica, without a doubt you are the best wife ever! Thanks for the gift today. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i thought the NBA wasn't real...like wrestling...lol.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.