Monday, June 28, 2010

Be Proud NOT Prideful

It's ok to be proud of what you are good at.

Every person is gifted in some area.  I believe it's how God has wired us.  At the same time no one possesses every talent and ability out there.  That means that some people are great at performing, but I bet they stink at administration.  Some people hate the thought of public speaking, but I bet they love the behind the scenes details. Every once in a while you will find someone with multiple talents and abilities, but if you look hard enough you'll find that they have an area where they are weak.

Whatever you are good at you should be proud of.  It's who God has created you to be.  The secret to being proud and not prideful of your abilities is to know where your talent comes from, and then to share it with others. 

I am confident in the abilities that I have.  I don't think that I'm the greatest of all time, but I know what I can and can't do.  The best gifts that I have are public speaking and creativity.  Those are the gifts that God has given me and I'm proud of them.  So it's my goal to be the best that I can be in the areas where God has gifted me.  At the same time I know where I'm not naturally gifted.  I know I suck at administration and the little details. I need other people...other people who know they are gifted in administration...to come along side me.  When they do we both shine in the areas where we are gifted. 

I don't know if you feel like you have to be humble about where you are gifted. I don't know if you feel like you have to downplay your strengths so others won't think you are prideful.  What I do know is that it's ok to be proud of the gifts God has given you.  Give Him credit for your strengths and then lean on others where you are weak and you'll be proud but not prideful.

7 comments:

  1. I can see you strutting around the WEC offices after you give a sermon shouting "Who's the preacher now baby!". O.K., maybe not.

    Silliness aside, your point is right on. This was a lesson that took me quite a long time to come to grips with. Now that I have finally been able to set my suit of pride aside, I am also much less of a jerk to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree it is important to distinguich between the two...it would be a shame not to use what God gave us claiming to be humble...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob, you forgot to mention that you are a very talented performer. You can rap and act, and probably can sing. You may not feel they are your strongest talents, but it's not easy getting in front of people and perform like you do, and you always do a great job. It's always a highlight of my day when you perform!

    I'm not sayin' you should quit your day job or anything like that (ha ha) but I thought that was a big gift you have that you didn't mention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith, that was very kind of you to say! That comment made my day. By the way...great job in the video on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I think I needed to hear this...cuz I tend to dismiss compliments and praise and find reasons why I can't accept them. Makes Billy really annoyed. :) I think that confidence in the abilities God has given you is a good thing...also important. If we lack confidence in the areas God has gifted us, that He wants to use for His glory, it'll be hard to trust Him to use those gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same issue that Bunch of Barrons has. I find it difficult to accept compliments. This post was great!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.