Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Advice For A New Dad: A Series of Guest Posts Part 3

So it's official...I'm a dad. My twins were born last week and that means I don't have time to blog. In my absence I asked some friends, acquaintances, and some people I don't know to guest post. Today's post is provided by the following: Chad Childress. Chad was my youth pastor. He's married to an awesome wife who taught me how to make homemade popcorn, and she makes a red velvet cake that will force you to slap your mama. It's that good. He's been my role model for youth ministry...oh and he still owes me a box of ice cream sandwiches because he lost to Chad Johnson (no not the football player) and me in basketball. Enjoy...
__________________________________________
Advice for New Fathers

So, what right do I have to give advice? Well, my wife and I have done the new baby thing four times. Twin boys who turn 15 on April 12th (the original due date for Monica until she gave up and pushed them babies out early), a soon to be 13 year old son, and a 9 year old daughter. I have walked Rob's road before and I have some advice for him and other "new" fathers.

0. Avoid Mission Drift - You are still first and foremost a husband. Don't neglect your wife. You will get your baby(s) home and will be consumed with all the responsibility of being daddy, but you better remember who birthed them. Your wife may go through some crazy emotions, cry about anything...everything....and nothing all at the same time, and even ignore you. Don't let that happen. You were a family before kids, don't let a kid(s) mess that up.
1. Babies are Resilient - That little helpless bundle of joy is not as fragile as you think. They are more like rubber bands than fine china. They will fall off the couch, bed, etc. They will cry and may even stop breathing...only to catch their breath to cry some more. But, they will be ok. We have only had one broken bone among our four kids. That's like lotto ratio kinda stuff.
2. Breathe from the Corner - When changing diapers, and yes you better change diapers, breathe from the corner of your mouth. You don't want any taste of that wonderment by breathing from your nose or breathing straight on.
3. Take Cover - When changing diapers, especially boys, be prepared. You can't leave that thing unattended, unless you want pee all over you and the walls. Have that other diaper ready or put a burp rag over that thing.
4. Watch Advice from Others (with the exception of all I have written above) - Some times, people couch their opinion under the slick guise of advice. Watch out for those people, they didn't breathe from the corner. There are also a lot of people who must not like being a parent of their kid. That's sad! They probably got peed on. Get good counsel when you need it and figure the rest out on your own...there will be way more stories later.
5. Pray like Crazy - You need God. They need God. Pray.

So, there ya go.

Chad Childress

6 comments:

  1. This one is like good home cookin'. Da good stuff right here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish they had these when my son was in diapers :)
    http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/pee-pee-teepees?utm_medium=shopping+sites&utm_source=froogle&utm_campaign=13271

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice for us Chad ! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of those. In my mind I picture them shooting up in the air when the pee hits. I will have to see if they work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never hear Rob mention the Childress name without adding "Red Velvet Cake".
    "Slap your Mama" good huh? Mothers must have a sense of humor and recognize when their children are sleep deprived. Regardless, there will be no slapping any momma :) I treasure the friendship Rob has with the Childress family. Great role model / great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was awesomely good advice. No one ever mentions #0. So important!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.