Saturday, April 9, 2011

Advice For A New Dad: A Series of Guest Posts Part 6

So it's official...I'm a dad. My twins were born last week and that means I don't have time to blog. In my absence I asked some friends, acquaintances, and some people I don't know to guest post. Today's post is provided by the following: Clayton King. God saved Clayton King when he was 14 years old, and the same night he was saved he felt God call him into the ministry. He surrendered to that call and since age 14 has preached to almost 2 million people in 23 countries and 45 states. He, his wife Charie, and their two sons Jacob and Joseph live in Boiling Springs, NC. An extra note about Clayton. Four years ago after Monica and I had a miscarriage Clayton prayed that God would give us twins. He was the first person to say something about twins and yet alone pray it. When he said it Monica and I smiled because it seemed like a bold prayer. This past week God answered that prayer. Our son, Hayden's, middle name is named after Clayton King.
_____________________________________________

Getting married, for me, was easy. Having kids, on the other hand, was the hardest thing I've ever experienced.
Getting married has advantages. You are dealing with another adult. They know how to talk. And feed themselves. And get dressed. And they usually sleep through the night. Babies don't naturally think how inconvenient they are. They come as clean slates ready to be filled up and packed with information, experiences, and love. That is why God gave them parents. We get the blessing of stock piling them with faith, values, beliefs, compassion, tenderness, wisdom, and goodness.
No one taught me how to be a dad in seminary. And nobody warned me that my life was about to take such an abrupt turn that it would result in physical and emotional whiplash. Or maybe they did try to prepare me, and I was just too busy or stubborn to listen. Either way, becoming a dad was a glorious and frightening experience; a real shock to my system.

I compare it to performing brain surgery. In the dark. Self-taught. No prior experience. Without a manual or an instructor.

Okay, that may be a bit over the top, but I am trying to make a point...that becoming a parent is no small thing. As a matter of fact, when you gaze upon your first born child lying in your arms or the arms of your spouse, still set and sticky and new, the realization sets in that the little human you are now responsible is really your best chance to actually change the world.

My boys are now 8 and 5 years old, respectively. I wonder every single day if I am doing a good job. My wife and I talk constantly about the way we are raising them, and there are so many questions we have; are our kids too busy? Should they be playing more or less sports? Are we cramming the Bible down their throats or should be be memorizing more scripture? Is their public school ok or should we be better Christians and homeschool them?

The questions (and the confusion) will never go away. As a matter of fact, it is proof that we love our kids, that we take the responsibility seriously, and that we are constantly being reminded that we must trust God with our children.
All the hard work is worth it. Dirty diapers and sleepless nights are a small price to pay for the fierce, messy, heart-pounding love that you feel when your child grins at you, climbs up in your lap, or prays a still, precious prayer before a meal that makes you choke back laughter.

Charie and I decided to embrace all the joys and struggles of parenting together. We are a team. We are united in our vision to raise two mighty men of God, who are mature, hard working, compassionate Christians that will live out the gospel in whatever direction God leads them to as men.

Never has anything taught me to deny myself like my children. I praise God for them. I love them. I cannot imagine life without them.

Clayton King

7 comments:

  1. Some truly loving words here. I can only add a hearty amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Clayton King. There is a name that brings back some fond memories. I remember seeing him speak countless times at high schools are retreats that I attended, Eagle Eyrie maybe? I'm pretty sure that I picked up some wise sayings along the likes of "It's on like Donkey Kong till the early morn"  and "finer than frog hair" from him. But what a great collection of advice. I struggle with the idea of bringing children into such a screwed up world. I sometimes worry about the guilt I would carry around with me knowing that I introduced such a innocent person into such an over-indulged, desensitized world. But how he said that "the little human you are now responsible is really your best chance to actually change the world" really makes it all seem worthwhile. Well put sir.
     
    Nice job Rob on having a great collection of guest poster's this week. It's been really enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob did he right this specifically for you? I read this exact blog post on his own page the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, yes he did. I asked him a few weeks ago and he emailed it to me. I guess he liked it cause next thing I know he posted it on his blog as well. Oh well. I am still grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got goose bumps when I read that Clayton prayed for you to have twins. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.