Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easy A

On Monday I was off from work for Easter Monday. Since I work at a church and work all day on Easter our offices are closed on the Monday after. Now on this day off I was able to give my wife the day off. She went to a movie and lunch with a friend and I got the privilege of hanging out with my twins. 3 feedings, 3 changings, and yet some how I managed to watch a movie. It took about 5 hours to watch, but I made it through.
Have you seen the movie Easy A? It's a movie about a high school girl who lies about having sex. Rumors spread, more lies are told, and and hi jinx ensues. It's a modest attempt at re-creating the magic of classic John Hughes high school movies, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Sixteen Candles etc. It's rated PG-13. Now this isn't a review of the movie. I thought it was ok, but it did make me sad.
In the movie the main character hits a low point and starts searching for answers. She first goes to look at the Bible, but she needs someone to explain it. She then goes to look for help from a pastor. I'm not sure what the makers of the movie were trying to say with these scenes. At first I loved it because she was looking for help from God. That is not something that you see in most movies. But then my heart broke because instead of finding answers she found judgement and confusion. I wish that the church could have helped her out.

The truth is that not everyone will look for answers from God. Some people will look for answers and the Bible won't answer them. Believe it or not but God doesn't answer every question that we have. The problem that I have with this movie is that she went searching and no one attempted to show her how God loves her and has a plan for her life. I think it's a sign of our times.

What if instead of being known for what we are against the church started being known for what we are for? What if instead of beating people over the head with our Bibles we showed people grace? What if instead of pretending to have all the answers we admitted that the Bible doesn't answer every question we will have, but God is big enough for us to still ask the questions? What if a confused high school girl comes looking for answers and instead of finding judgement she finds people who model God's love? That would be a movie I would really enjoy.

13 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this movie, but I like your observation. Usually "religious" types in the movies and on TV are portrayed as fools and weaklings. However, some of the strongest people I have known in my life have loved God with a deep passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked this movie, but i definitely agree with you. All too often are religious people viewed in a negative light in movies and its really unfortunate. I think we should make a movie about how awesome everyone at waters edge can be. and the star would be you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post Rob! A lot of what I've been writing and thinking on lately center around these very questions. It's going to take a lot of work and a lot of time to undo many of the stereotypes the world has placed on the church, but I think with our generation and the next, if we can focus our efforts on the right things instead of the negative things we can truly make a revolutionary change in the world. I can start by never writing a run-on sentence such as that one, ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. as they say...that will preach...love that last paragraph, it is spot on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Changing the church from being known what we are against to being known what we are for is a difficult task, but it can be done little by little as we keep living out the example of Jesus. Good words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I can tell by your blog that you are living this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. That movie was great but I always hope deep down they use God as an answer. Alas, it's usually a guy or girlfriend. Dang teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post. That movie was great but I always hope deep down they use God as an answer. Alas, it's usually a guy or girlfriend. Dang teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. That movie was great but I always hope deep down they use God as an answer. Alas, it's usually a guy or girlfriend. Dang teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great post. I read this to my community group tonite, we were talking about past experiences with churches showing condemnation & judgement. So grateful that we go to a church thats mission is to change the way people feel about church and Christ followers. WEC truly models grace, mercy & love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tyler, A. I love that you commented. B. I love that you commented 3 times to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Powerful words Rob! It was you and Monica that taught me this grace of God. I pay it forward, and hope that everyone that meets me feels the love and non-judgment that is truly what Christians are supposed to be about!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.