Thursday, April 21, 2011

Arcade Games

I played the classic X-Men Arcade Game on my PS3 this past weekend. They have a bunch of old games that you can download. That game was awesome at the Arcade. Oh wait...that reminds me of another thing that I will have to explain to my kids. It would go something like this...

Rob - Reese and Hayden back when I was a kid we would go to the mall to play video games.
Reese and Hayden - like at the video game store to sample a game?
Rob - no, to this amazing place called the Arcade. It was filled with video games.
Reese and Hayden - Was it free?
Rob - No my children, you had to pay 50 cents each time you wanted to play a game. When you died the game was over and you had to pay more money.
Reese and Hayden - that sounds awful. What'd you get if you beat the game?
Rob - most of the time nothing. In fact people rarely beat the games because it cost too much money.
Reese and Hayden - that sounds unfortunate. Did you have to do that because you didn't have a game system?
Rob- um...no. I had one of those too. It was called a Nintendo.
Reese and Hayden - so why did you drive all the way to the mall to spend 50 cents on a game when you could have stayed at home and played on this Nintendo that you speak of.
Rob- well...I don't really know.
Reese and Hayden - that's probably why Arcades didn't make it to our time. Your generation was just silly.
Rob - um...well, you might have a point, but the 80's ruled and the cartoons in your day stink! Plus I changed your diapers and Hayden once farted so hard it sprayed poop on the wall.
Reese and Hayden - Good one dad.

So what's one thing from your childhood that your kids won't get to experience?

22 comments:

  1. I was reading an article that said phone books , dictionaries, and encyclopedias are a thing of the past. What about rotary phones, attari, beta and VHS tapes. This post got me thinking that I am getting OLD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rugrats, I used to love that show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One things from my childhood that my daughter won't experience? That's easy. Dinosaurs! Oh, and I love it how your twins will speak in unison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, the first post I did on this was about VHS tapes and Blockbuster. Our kids won't have a fat clue about those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making tents in the backyard out of lawn furniture and actually sleeping in them. That was my favorite when I was a kid. My parents weren't even out there with us. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha daniel...syd & marty kropht...they made the best saturday morning tv shows...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imagine a world without TV.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha i love the fact that in every one of these conversations Reese and Hayden talk at the same time! also i am sad to say i think the only arcade ive been to is one at Busch Gardens. Hope i didnt just disappoint you robshep! haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phones that were anchored into the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that today's cartoons stink for the most part, with one glaring exception, and that is Sponge Bob. Best cartoon ever in my opinion, or maybe tied in first with Looney Tunes (the old stuff, not when they were babies stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Door to door school fundraisers. That is something my kids certainly won't get a chance to experience. As character-building as those activities were, in today's age there is not a chance that I would let my future kids participate. Also, I'm 95% certain that desktop computers will also be out of the equation by the time I have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Derek, you might be eating a lot of candy when that candy sale comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Faith, interesting. I had no idea you were a Sponge Bob fan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brad, that is sad. You need to come over and spend some time with Mrs. Pac-Man.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have no idea who syd and marty kropht are. I'll google it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kris, that sounds like some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phones with cords and blowing the game cartridges to get them to work properly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cd's are on the fast track to extinction

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I'm full of surprises.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.