Tuesday, February 23, 2010

People talk poo about you

At some point this week someone is going to talk behind your back. I've found that no matter how nice, friendly, or polite I am someone is going to find fault with something I've said.  Maybe it's a complex I have but I wish everyone liked me.  The truth is even when I have the best of intentions someone is going to get their sensitive feelings hurt.  When this happens I've found that you have a few options...
  1. Chalk it up to the person being immature, spineless, and way too sensitive. This makes you feel better but it rarely leads to fixing the problem. 
  2. You can talk poo behind their back.  This also makes you feel better but then it shows that you are immature, spineless and way too sensitive. 
  3. Pretend it doesn't bother you. Who are you kidding it bothers you.
  4. Confront them and tell them that they are immature, spineless, sensitive, and a pathetic excuse for a human being.  Again this would make you feel better but it wouldn't be nice.
  5. Confront them with grace because you know you've talked behind other people's backs.
I hate confrontation so most of the time I ignore it when I find out someone has talked behind my back.  Lately though I've tried to confront people with grace. My go to line is "you know me well enough to know I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Next time please talk to me about it and not behind my back."

Do not pay attention to every word people say, or you may hear your servant cursing you- for you know in your heart that many times you yourself have cursed others. - Ecclesiastes 7:21-23

5 comments:

  1. Great post and one that I need to fully absorb. I love the verse from Ecc. that you gave. Right on brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice rob...its good to point it out b/c they will just keep doing it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, you got me Rob. I have GOT to stop talking about you behind your back. I mean, it's always good things, but it was behind your back so too much of good thing is a great thing. Too much of a great thing is real bad and stupid -Strong Bad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the terms you use, like "poo" and gag nasty. Especially "poo". It makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Ecc. scripture and your method of confrontation is great. In some cases though, I recommend, "Shake the dust, and move on."

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.