Saturday, February 13, 2010

Movie Review: Valentine's Day

Since Valentine's Day is on a Sunday, and I will be at church all day, my wife and I celebrated a day early. What better way to celebrate than going to see the star studded new movie "Valentine's Day." "Valentine's Day" has a gigantor list of A list stars in it. Julia Roberts, Ashton Kutcher, McDreamy and McSteamy from Greys Anatomy, Jamie Foxx, Taylor from Twilight and Taylor Swift to name a few.

For the amount of stars in the movie one would expect it would be amazing. It's not a bad flick, but it's not great. The story is good, the characters are engaging, and it's fun to see that many stars in one movie. The problem for me was it wasn't that funny of a movie. I smiled a couple of times, but it never made me laugh. The other problem I had with the film is (and this may be the pastor coming out of me) sex is for the most part is as casual as a handshake. There were a few glimpses of waiting, but it wasn't for marriage.

"Valentine's Day" is rated PG-13 for very mild language, and way too short sleep wear. I give it a thumb to the side.
Rob's Rating System: Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes there's too many big fish in a little pond. I'm not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know...i wondered how good it actually could be as it looked like a weak american attempt at 'Love Actually" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was a cute movie but I am a girl and I have bad taste

    ReplyDelete
  4. @carbaby, it wasn't a bad movie at all. Monica liked it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also enjoyed it. Eric Dane actually said on Jimmy Kimmel that if you were an actor in Hollywood and wanted in that movie and didn't get in, you should fire your agent because they took every star they could find. I was touched by several story lines: Julia coming home to see her son for a day (brought me to tears), and then Ashton and Jennifer G. falling in love with each other and being best friends...loved that too. I laughed a few times. And GASPED when I saw where Bradley Cooper go "home". I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since we hadn't seen his love interest yet but still, it shocked me.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.