Monday, February 15, 2010

My turn for Valentine's Day

In our second year of marriage my wife and I started a tradition where we take turns planning Valentine's Day. When it's not my turn I don't have to think about a date, or a gift. When it is my turn the pressure is on. This year it was my turn to plan our day together. We celebrated on Saturday because I had church all day on Valentine's Day.

It started with breakfast in bed. Now before you give me too much credit it was her favorite donut from Dunkin' Donuts. I then gave Monica her gifts. It started with a coupon book that I made. I saw this on a friend's blog...


My coupon booked included money for a chick flick, a massage, pedicure, and a Chick Fil-A ice dream. If you are interested in learning how to make your own click here. I then surprised Monica with a wireless printer. She's been wanting one for a long time. It wasn't in my Valentine's Day budget, but I had gotten paid for an upcoming wedding so I used that money to surprise her.

For lunch my plan was to take her to Bone Fish Grille. I looked on their website and saw that they were open at 11:30 on V-Day. I called to get a reservation and the lady on the phone told me that they weren't open until 4:00 PM. I kindly reminded her that their website said they were open at 11:30 on Valentine's Day. She then kindly reminded me that it was Saturday and Valentine's Day wasn't until the next day. We ended up at the Olive Garden.

We finished the day by buying a new toilet at Home Depot (this wasn't really a part of the date but we did go after lunch). We've needed a new one for some time and had finally saved up the money to buy one. It's a class five toilet. I'm pretty excited about it.

Monica said it was a great day so I'm happy.

11 comments:

  1. Feeling the love, nice balance of thoughtful, combined with a little frivolous and practical-- but what is a class 5 toilet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the bit about the toilet. Good to appreciate the specifics of the commode at the Shepherd house. I have made a mental note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that was an awesome day, I would have enjoyed getting a new toilet just as much as the other things too, its all about what makes her happy! p.s if your coupon book is naughty dont post those pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kelsey, it's the highest rated toilet. Apparently you could flush golf balls if you wanted. It's supposed to not ever clog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the taking turns idea for V-Day. That's great! I'll have to remember that when I get a hot date.

    --Terrace Crawford
    www.terracecrawford.com
    www.twitter.com/terracecrawford

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was an amazing day! I'm the luckiest girl in the world. His years are always way better than mine. I do good birthday surprises though. :) Thanks, babe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need one of those toilets around here in case Merrick decides to flush something he shouldn't. :) haha. Sounds like you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "She kindly reminded me that it was Saturday..." oh man that's classic! haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. bravo on the quality v-day planning! i also found the bit about the phone-interaction w/ bonefish grille to be amusing. glad the day was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice rob. the toilet added so much...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have one of those in the kids' bathroom. It clogs. It's also hard to plunge b/c the elongated opening makes it difficult to get a seal.

    I was excited when we got ours, too. Alas, it did not live up to our expectations. Maybe they've improved since they came out.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.