Thursday, February 11, 2010

Better Blogging: 48 Simple Strategies by Tony Morgan

I'm currently reading "Killing Cockroaches" by Tony Morgan. Tony's a great author and an uber blogger. In his book he gives 48 Simple Strategies for better blogging. Now some people say it doesn't matter what you do with your blog, after all it's yours. I say that if that were the case then you should just keep a journal. You shouldn't blog for other people but at the same time when you blog you should keep your readers (or potential readers) in mind. Here's Tony's list...
  • Be You
  • Speak into people's lives
  • Keep it brief
  • Post regularly
  • share the link love
  • Don't try to sell
  • Don't self-promote
  • Use Humor
  • Be vulnerable
  • Build others up
  • Share your wisdom, but don't make me feel dumb
  • Celebrate success, but don't make me feel small
  • Tell stories
  • Don't try to cover up your mistakes
  • Track your numbers
  • Don't obsess about your numbers
  • Comment on others' blogs
  • Monitor who is linking to your site
  • Talk like a normal person
  • Check your spelling
  • Tell me about your family
  • Find your voice
  • Find your audience
  • Focus on that audience
  • Tell us what you love
  • Offer your opinions
  • Don't spread gossip
  • Tell the truth
  • Spread the truth
  • Use lists
  • Allow comments
  • Provide an email contact
  • Check your links to other sites
  • Develop relationships
  • Use pictures
  • Keep it original
  • Tease us
  • Remember, everything you write will be read
  • Don't publish everything you write
  • Pay for good design
  • Don't correct posts, except for typos
  • Update posts, but only sparingly
  • Don't ask me to link to your blog
  • Create conversation
  • Share what you're learning
  • Stick with it
  • Have fun
  • again, be you

13 comments:

  1. Got it, I think. What was number 32 again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have 10% of that down...I love Tony Morgan's blog...and yours too...think you are on your way Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot to ask of one blog. I think you do a great job of blogging and meeting those requirements! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wise blogger who seeks advice of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like good advice to me...it's a lot to remember! Billy and I both love reading your blog, Rob. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. handy dandy list.

    --Terrace Crawford
    www.terracecrawford.com
    www.twitter.com/terracecrawford

    ReplyDelete
  7. great book and great list. i took it to heart...

    ReplyDelete
  8. According to that list you do a great job with your blog! I enjoy it. It is the only blog I read regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Austin Lee!

    Ahh Danielle. That was very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i hope mine checks out! yours definitely does. bravo on the upkeep with such a legit blog, r-shep

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember reading that in his book thinking "how do I do all of these things?"

    I just talk about what I love and what I learn and the rest seems to follow from time to time.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.