Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Process

I'm a pastor and most of the time I don't feel God. There are lots of times where I don't feel like reading the Bible. I have to remind myself to worship God in church and not just critique what is happening.

This past Sunday my pastor, Stu Hodges, talked about you have to experience a promise from God, then endure the process, in order to enjoy the party. For example if want to hold onto the promise of a great marriage you have to work in the process by loving your spouse, forgiving your spouse, serving your spouse etc. The party is a great marriage, but it only comes through the process. He applied this to many things like finances or raising good children.

I've been thinking about that talk all week. A promise that I hold on to comes from a verse in the Bible that says, "But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul." The promise is that we can find God if we seek Him. I've been thinking about how the process is going to church, reading the Bible, praying, serving others etc. I often don't find God in the process, but over time I see how He finds me. He changes me through the process. There are verses that He will bring to memory. Verses that I didn't even know I knew, but I must have read them through the process. The process is work and it doesn't result in instant gratification. It's through the process that I find God.

6 comments:

  1. very wise post rob. in those moments when we don't see Him, feel Him he is there, working inside helping us get to that place where our eyes open to His reality. Great thoughts man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is the process, the delay of the promise that matures us spiritually speaking and gets us ready to receive God's promises. Many Bible heroes waited a long time before receiving their promise from God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outside of the WEC story I had a hard time coming up with an example in my personal life. I figured out I am still in the process. God promised a better life. I am in the process in my everyday life on earth. Then the party will be when I get to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Rob. Makes the sermon more applicable to my life.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.