Saturday, June 6, 2009

Double Feature Movie Review: Terminator & Land of the Lost

Last weekend I saw Terminator: Salvation and I didn't have a chance to review it. Last night I saw Land of the Lost. Thus you are getting a double feature movie review.

Terminator: Salvation

In my opinion this summer movie season has been ho hum so far. There have been some decent movies but, Star Trek aside, nothing has amazed me. Terminator fits with the ho hum movies. It's not a bad movie, but it lacks greatness.

This is the fourth movie in the Terminator franchise. For this go around they have made the ever so popular prequel. For years we have seen clips of the future through the other Terminator films. This was their chance to do a whole movie based off the gloomy future after Judgement Day. The movie stars Christian Bale as, the future legend, John Connor. There is also a nice cameo from Arnold, the original Terminator.

Again it's not a bad movie but they just don't do a lot with it. There are some cool special affects, and some good action sequences, but it lacks a great story. Without the story it's like cake without icing. It may look good, but it lacks the thing that makes it great. I give it a thumb to the side.


Land of the Lost

Because I think Will Ferrell is ha larious I thought I would give Land of the Lost a shot. He was the only reason I was interested. I was hoping for a cleaner Will Ferrell comedy. His last few have been rated R and this is PG-13. I like his humor but I like him best in movies like Elf or Kicking and Screaming...funny but not offensive.

Land of the Lost is a movie based off a children's TV show of the same name. I've mentioned this before but I don't know why Hollywood insists on making sub par comedies based off TV shows that weren't comedies. Land of the Lost is no exception. It's mildly entertaining, but it lacks a HUGE laugh. I'm sure there are some Will Ferrell fans who will like it just because he's in it, but I was disappointed. I give it a thumb down.


Rob's Rating System: Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD.

5 comments:

  1. can't believe they would do that to LOTL...disappointed

    ReplyDelete
  2. is that your first ever thumb down on robshep.com?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, I know.

    DP, no. I think I gave another one. It might have been the Punisher. It was a way worst movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you seen Up yet? I felt the same way as you about the summer season. Not really any great movies. I thought Star Trek was good, but not great. Up restored my hope. It is a great movie. I liked it a lot. If you want my advice I would not see it in 3D. Not only does it cost more, but in my opinion it will probably distort the color and be a little distracting. That's just me though. If you want to see it in 3D, go ahead. Bottom line is go see Up. It's one of the best films I've seen this year, easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ter-meh-nator, indeed. I was entertained, but it was just so very forgettable. I'll probly still see LOTL, just cuz I'm big on Will Ferrell... and bc on Tuesday it'll be $5

    anyways, I agree with David in terms of seeing Up. it was amazing! but Star Trek was also amazing, so that's definitely 2 stellar movies so far this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.