Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson was the first superstar musician I remember. I remember in first grade a kid in my class had the red jacket MJ wore in beat it. I remember being a kid and wearing one glove because of MJ. I remember when I first saw the moonwalk and immediately attempted to do it.

When I was a kid a Michael Jackson video was an event. My parents said I was too young to watch Thriller, but I remember it premiered on network TV and everyone wanted to watch it. Who can forget the videos for Beat It, Bad, or Black or White? Huge celebrities appeared in almost all of his videos. Wesley Snipes was in Bad, Michael Jordan danced with him in Jam, Magic Johnson and Eddie Murphy co-starred in the video for Do You Remember the Time, the kid from Home Alone rapped in Black or White, Joe Pesci played the villain in Smooth Criminal, and the list could go on. They may not seem Huge now but they premiered in the peek of their fame.

He was an amazing showman. I remember when he preformed at the Super Bowl. It is one of the best Super Bowl performances of all time. I wish I would have been able to see him in concert. Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake, and Usher all pay homage to Michael by the way they preform today.

Over the last few years it's been easy to forget just how revolutionary Michael was. In the last couple decades his personal life has made more news then his music, but he will be forever remembered for the songs he created. Whether it was his work with the Jackson Five or as a solo artist Michael made classic, timeless music.

What is your favorite Michael Jackson song?

11 comments:

  1. This news has just blown me away. I was a drooling fan of his music and style during the Thriller days. I did not want to believe the abuse stories and drug stories and was in denial for years. This man had some real issues that we will never appreciate. But the music, oh the music. It transports me to a different time and place and frame of mind. My favorites are She's Out of My Life, Billie Jean, and Who is It? I also really liked Say, Say, Say with Sir Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy stuff. fav song...possibly Billie Jean...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough and I Want You Back from the Jackson 5...that should count b/c it's primarily him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. def. Billie Jean

    Word Verification of the day:cypank
    Definition: a cyber spank, a futuristic comparison to the traditional spank, describing how parents will spank their kids in the future

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to call Dan to confirm the story that he died. I couldn't believe it. Favorite song is probably Billie Jean, but so many are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The WEC staff and spouses will always have a special spot in our hearts for "Dirty Diana." haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Michael Jackson was my first celebrity crush! I had posters on my wall, I kissed them with lipstick on, hehe! I also had the MJ Barbie doll with the red leather outfit! It was awesome, I wish I still had it! I had a Jackson 5 tape that I listened to all the time! His videos are amazing!
    And Monica.... that is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if I have a favorite per se but I do have a top 5...in no particular order:

    Billie Jean
    Say, Say, Say
    Black or White
    PYT
    The Way You Make Me Feel

    Honorable mentions go to: Man in the Mirror, You are not Alone, and I just can't stop lovin' you...

    I also wanted to say that I wish, wish, wish someone had helped him grow up and deal with his demons. I think all of his quirks and oddities could've been resolved if those around him hadn't enabled him forever. Yes, he was an icon and that's what we will remember him for but how much more would he have done if he hadn't gone off the deep end? Makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This seems to be like the equivalent of the death of Elvis, only for our generation. I like Beat It, Smooth Criminal, and ABC. Thriller's overplayed. Yeah, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite song from MJ is Man in the Mirror. "if you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change" brilliant! Also, he was on of the main contributors to We Are The World. Talent like that will be hard to match.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HMMMM....I'm surprised at the amount of people that like Billie Jean. That's probably my least favorite MJ song--WAY overrated in my opinion.

    I like so many, but probably Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, and Smooth Criminal. After I post this, I'll think of at least 3 more that would be my faves.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.