Monday, June 22, 2009

Boys Don't Look

My wife says, "boys don't know how to look." What she means by that is guys don't do a great job at finding something when they are looking for it. Now she generalizes and says "boys," but I am wondering if other guys have the same problem that I do. Here's an example.

This morning I threw away my old contacts and I couldn't find my new ones. I knew I had new contacts because we bought a years supply and I have only used two. I looked, on my own, for about 15 minutes in the bathroom closet. I looked very carefully. I took things out and forced my mind to concentrate on the task at hand. I didn't want to, but after 15 minutes I had to ask her where they were. She said they were in the bathroom closet. The same bathroom closet that I had been searching in for 15 minutes. After circa 5 more minutes of searching my wife walked in the room and pulled the new contacts out of the closet. It took her less than 5 seconds.

She then said to me once again, "boys don't know how to look." Is it just me, or does this plague the entire male species?

12 comments:

  1. Does what plague the male species? I guess concentration is not high on our skill set either. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it might... but i think part of the problem with scott not being able to find things in our space is because he does not create the organizational system. I put things in their place therefore i have to help scott find them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. its pretty common among boys...i would be lost without my wife to look behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It not only plaques the male species, but it ranges from amusing to rather annoying for females who are often better organizers and can more easily find things, but often get blamed if something is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is "boys don't look" the disease? Or "girls create confusing systems of organization that make no sense to the boy brain" the disease? Hmmmm...I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROB I look like my life depends on it, and if I don't it bugs me for the rest of my life...I still can't believe I couldn't find my favorite baseball hat...guess what I'm going to find it, just a matter of when...I always look and I never ask for directions...i might be the exception to this rule

    Today's word Verification- valkini
    Definition-a bikini worn by vals

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel, not being able to find things that are right in front of them...ie not knowing how to look.

    Jessie, thanks for trying to see it from the guys perspective.

    Brian, I hear ya.

    Mim, ok.

    Scott, I would say in my case it's all on the boys. This was right in front of my face and I didn't see it.

    Matt, That might be why you are a ninja.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't tell you how many times I've been woken up at 5 am because Reed can't find ______. He looses his ID, his keys, his coveralls, parts of his uniform...you know the things he needs EVERY single day. 95% of the time, I can tell him right where to go. I think I somewhat agree with Jessie but the things Reed looses are things he's responsible for, things he's put away or was supposed to put away. So, overall, I agree with Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree. Bub can not find anything. Poor guy, he will be standing with the fridge open.... asking me where the lunch meat is.... Looking is a skill done better by the ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe DP hasn't commented! This is sometimes a problem in my house, but it is usually with things like keys, glasses, wallets. I tend to see more items in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's actually the exact opposite way with Steve and I. The question I have: is a marriage doomed to endless lost items if both people can't find things?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope. I do what your wife does ALL THE TIME, my wife is clueless.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.