Thursday, June 4, 2009

I Love The Lakers

I'm a BIG Lakers fan. Now before you say something silly, like I'm a bandwagon fan, I thought I would tell you about how long I've liked the Lakers.

When I was four years old my mom gave me a basketball and pointed me towards a ten foot basket outdoors. I shot and shot until I finally got the ball up to the hoop. From that day on I fell in love with the game of basketball.

During the first day of summer break, way back when I was in third grade, I stayed up late to watch TV. The Lakers were playing the Celtics. I loved watching Magic Johnson play. From that night on I became a Lakers fan. I had no idea about their history or how many championships they had won. The only thing I knew was that I love to watch them.

Unlike most my friends who jumped on the bandwagon of a winning team only to leave when that teams star player left...aka Michael Jordan...I have stayed with the Lakers even after Magic retired. The Lakers stunk for the next few years but I kept watching. I kept watching through the Shaq and Kobe years. I kept watching when they divorced. The Lakers are good once again and I'm loving it. I hope they win the NBA Championship this year. Go Lakers!

5 comments:

  1. read a great book recently on Bird and Magic and their college careers, think you would enjoy it. He was fun to watch and i remember the day of his press conference and the feeling sitting there in the dorm...

    have not seen you around the waystation...hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who knows you would never question your love affair with the Lakers as a "bandwagon" thing.

    I never liked the Bulls, even when Michael played for them... I had a Celtics starter jacket in 3rd grade because I loved Larry Bird... I'm not really a basketball fan, but if I were I'd be a Celtics fan.

    I got excited at the beginning of last season because of the news that Garnett (I loved Garnett when he played for the T-Wolves) went to the Celtics, I watched them that season but that is the extent of my basketball fandom.

    I hope you enjoyed my reasons for liking the Celtics and my fanhood. What was the point of all I just wrote? Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sigh...... i was that kid. i lost interest in the Bulls as a pre-teen once MJ left. good news is i found my old copy of the Space Jam soundtrack. that sucker is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, its the Froyen family (a.k.a. Dean) just to tell you the lakers are going to lose in the finals and to just let you know the Celtics have won 18 nba finals and the Lakers have only won 16

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.