Monday, June 15, 2009

Does Jesus Taste Like Chicken? Part 1

There is a verse in the Bible that doesn't get talked about a lot. It's one of those verses that makes you scratch your head and wonder "what in the world?"

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. John 6:53-56.

This is one of those verses that makes people afraid to drink the Kool Aid at church. It's just weird. But according to Jesus we can't have life in us unless we eat Him. So I wonder if I have to eat Jesus, does He taste like chicken? Over the next few posts I'm going to be chewing on this verse to try to understand it more.

To be continued...

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that I follow, why would he taste like chicken at all? To me it taste like stale wafer bread. Standing by very sixes and sevens, flummoxed, confound if you catch my drift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me clarify... not in finding the meaning of the verse, but in getting your title to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anxiously awaiting this one since you mentioned it the other day...it does have a cannabalistic ring to it that can be very frightening to those that have to clue. funny that love can be so offensive...ready to read on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a thought as you are chewing:
    Looking at something or examining it is quite different than eating it. The life of Jesus is to be consumed, internalized, digested into our own life so that we become one with Him.
    Communion is a hands on reminder to continually "Taste and see...that the Lord is good."

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.