Friday, June 19, 2009

Warm and Fuzzy Memories with Rob

Once upon a time I went on vacation to Orlando. I traveled with my amazing wife, Monica, and my good friend Jamey. Orlando is amazing. I love it. In fact we went to see the Orlando Magic play the Lakers while we were there. Funny thing is the outcome was the same as the Finals and the Lakers won! Sorry I hadn't officially blogged about the Lakers winning the Finals so it just came out of me.

Back to the Warm and Fuzzy Memory...

We drove to Orlando and on our drive back we stopped for dinner. My friend Jamey likes fancy places. He asked if we could stop at one of his favorite restaurants for dinner. The place is Waffle House and Jamey says it's fancy because they cook the food right in front of you.

This was the most country Waffle House I had ever been in. I asked the waitress what city we were in and she said, in a such a thick southern accent, something inaudible. I asked her again and she replied with such a heavy southern twang I thought I was in the movie Deliverance.

As we were leaving Monica and Jamey went to the restroom. Separate restrooms of course. I was left standing all alone in the Waffle House. I was surrounded by manly men and manlier woman. I had a few quarters in my pocket so I decided to play a few songs to pass the time. The first song I picked was the classic "There's a Special Lady Waiting for Me at the Waffle House." It's at every Waffle House...look it up. I then picked a song that I thought would start a riot.

Monica and Jamey came out of the restroom and I said, "we've got to get out of here." Followed by "I'm not joking we need to run." The three of us hustled out of the Waffle House, the whole time I was giggling.

When we get to the safety of our car Monica and Jamey asked what I did. You see, the second song I played was "A Measure of a Man" by none other than Clay Aiken. I was shocked to see it in Waffle House. In my mind I could picture the whole restaurant stopping what they are doing, unplugging the jukebox and stringing up the tourists. Clay Aiken and Waffle House just don't go together.

And that my friends is another Warm and Fuzzy Memory with Rob.

12 comments:

  1. That's so awesome. Road trips always produce the best stories. I would like an encore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would bet that many in the Waffle House would love hearing that song. If you haven't heard it, you are missing a song that tells what is important in respecting a man. Guess you don't know that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel warm and fuzzy, strangely. lol. always love road trip stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memories, light the corners of my mind. Sniff. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Musicfan, I hope I didn't offend you. I'm sure it's a beautiful song. It would have been just as funny to me if I played Hannah Montanna, which is an option, at teh Waffle House. The songs are fine outside of the Waffle House, but the song didn't match the clientele.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was it more of a "Devil came down to Georgia" kind of crowd?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A person's online behavior is very telling about the person behind the screen. Do you find it uplifting to belittle people who are not exactly like you ? Is this the kind of example you are in your church ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like people are getting a little crazy with their comments, Rob. And... I am quite sure Rob did not mean to belittle anyone... He is a respectful person and a very good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess you had to be there. No one was belittled. Amazing. Thanks Bethany, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Rob, who knew you (probably the most respectful person I know) could rile up a crowd like this? I can see the picture, trucker guys and gals hanging out in waffle house with Clay crooning in the background. Makes an odd soundtrack for the scene. I think the "Devil went down to Georgia" would be a better fit (good call Gay Guy). You found the humor in the contrast, not everyone can I guess. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Bethany, Monica, and Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha ha. that's funny stuff. The comments are even funnier.

    Sorry musicfan, Clay Aiken is just out of place anywhere that truckers frequent. Personally I think he's horrible (he's probably a great person, I'm talking about his music), you obviously are a fan. To each there own.

    Connie, there's nothing wrong with manly women... heck half my relatives are manly women. That's the only thing I can remotely find "belittling". Be proud if you're a manly woman, my aunts are. Or maybe you're a Clay fan... if so, read above.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.