Thursday, May 15, 2008

Love like a salesmen?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. In America we tend to love like salesmen. No offense to salesmen, but whenever I am around one I feel a lot of love. They act like my best friend, try to relate to me, and by the end of the night we're exchanging numbers, singing kumbaya, and I feel like I've found a new friend. The problem is that the reason they love me is because I am a potential client. It benefits them to be nice to me.

As a Christian I am commanded to love people period! It is hard to love someone when they don't benefit me, but that is what God has asked me to do. Read what Jesus said...

Here is a simple rule of thumb for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them! If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-mill sinners do that. If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden-variety sinners do that. If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that's charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that. Luke 6:31-32 (The Message).

I love that verse! Grab the initiative and show love to someone. Who needs a call from you, not because you need anything, but just to say hello? Who needs a gift from you, not because it's their birthday, but just because? Who needs a card or email sent to them that says how much you appreciate them? Do you love others simply because God loves them or do you find yourself loving others because they benefit you? Think about it!

1 comment:

  1. True what you said but in these days a lot o people forgot these words from God. They are only for themselves and do not care about others. What a sad thing:(

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.