Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Would You Rather...

Would you rather...

Have to walk around naked. I'm talking to the gym, grocery store, work, the mall and anywhere else you might go. 

Or

Have all of your thoughts exposed. I'm talking every little thought you think about your boss, your spouse, your friends, and your co-workers. 

No matter what you pick you are going to expose yourself. On the one hand you are exposing parts of your body that very few people should or even want to see.  On the other hand people might not like you if they hear every thought that goes through your head.

It's funny to me how hard we try to hide our real selves. We cover our bodily imperfections with clothes. We cover our thoughts with fake smiles and nods.  Rick Warren, Pastor and author of the Purpose Driven Life, recently tweeted - "Authenticity is being what you seem & saying what you mean." One thing I pray often is that God would help me be authentic. It's easy to hide. It's easy to hide behind well thought out Facebook posts, fake smiles, and the facades that we create.  The problem is the fake me isn't as good as I think it is and the real me isn't going to change unless I let others in. It feels weird to write, but I try hard to be authentic. I try to let down my guard, say what I really think, and even allow myself to look foolish if I've made a mistake. 

There is a lot of freedom in being authentic. It's hard work trying to convince others that you are better than you really are. 

9 comments:

  1. authenticity is one of my biggest goals.

    i commend you for trying as well!

    oh, and i think i'd rather have my thoughts exposed. no, naked. no. well. dang. that's too hard of a decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather have all my thoughts exposed for sure!

    What a great thought provoking post!

    Lately, I'm struggling with being prideful about my authenticity - I get irritated when people don't want to have deep real conversations "like me". How's that for taking something good and screwing it up!? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. I think I would, if forced to choose one of your options, have my thoughts exposed. However, I would then probably be forced also to have to move from town to town fairly frequently given that I would make so many enemies.

    Rob, like you, I just try to be myself. I think I am pretty good at this. I have my moments where I disappoint myself, but for the most part, I yam what I yam. Maybe this explains why I live alone with about 50 cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The deal is that even the most "perfect" person we know has indwelling sin that if we were aware of would be utterly horrific and evil...that goes for every human that ever lived...Don Miller said in Blue Like Jazz that real naked people look funny...it's true...there would be an indescribable embarrassment of going everywhere naked but i think it would be more tolerable than having every thought exposed...i'm pretty sure that with either case it wouldn't last long because someone would just kill you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey, thanks for the comment. Your indecision made me laugh.

    Julie, I hear ya. It's easier to have surfacey conversations. For me it's one of those things that only happens with certain people. If someone wants to go beyond the surface then I welcome it, but if they don't then I don't force it.

    Daniel, another funny comment.


    Billy, I forgot about Donald's thoughts on this. Your comment makes me want to re-read Blue Like Jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Julie, I get frustrated when some people just can't seem to hold a 'meaningful' or deep conversation. Sometimes it's even with people I am close to and I wonder do they just not think 'deeply' like me or what? I actually have a hard time with 'small talk' or 'surfacey' conversations...I feel bad saying it but I get bored too easy with it and find myself NOT being authentic cause I'm just doing the whole smile, nod, yadda yadda yadda thing...good stuff to think about as always Rob, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am all about the nakedness....my thoughts are already out there so...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh...tough one. I really think I'd go naked though. I don't want people knowing what I REALLY think of their new hair-do. ;) But seriously...love what you said here. I do wish we would all be more authentic with each other. Not mean, just lovingly honest and transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think it would be possible to function in society with either. You'd be forced in to exclusion no matter which you chose.

    There should be people that are truely authentic with, but most people don't actually want the "hassle" of dealing with real authenticity. Your average person doesn't want to know how awful your day really is. In addittion is what you initially think really what you believe and what you would like to be thrown out there? Pretty sure I read somewhere about taking captive every thought... I don't think that implies our thoughts should necessarily exposed.

    Funny that I've read some of your posts and missed others... I'm catching up.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.