Friday, September 3, 2010

I'm Not A Black Man

I'm not a black man. I'm not a black man, but if I was one the following is something that would bother me...
When a white person says that a black person is acting white because they don't like rap music, don't sag their pants, have a good job, or speak with proper English. 

I hear that often and I know that the people who say it don't mean anything by it, but it's wrong. You can't act black. It's a color not a personality type.

Think of it this way...there are lots of white trash people and they don't represent all white people.  If a white person doesn't have an education, drinks moonshine, and chews tobacco while they watch Nascar they are still just as white as the ivy league business man who drinks martinis while watching golf.  No offense to any white people who can relate to any of the things I grouped with being "white trash."

This is just a thought coming from a white guy who likes rap music, loves the NBA, and often craves chicken.  Oh and sometimes my pants sag. Not because I'm not trying to be white, but because I've lost weight and they no longer fit.  Now that I've had time to vent it's your turn. What stereotypes bother you?

7 comments:

  1. What bothers me is the stereotype that all geeks are wholly undesirable by women of the opposite sex. It's just plain wrong I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that God hates homosexuals...

    just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that stay at home moms "don't work!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhh--these are all so good.

    that native americans love to gamble and are alcoholics. i mean, i love a good scratch card and a margarita, but....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of these. The one about stay-at-home mom's REALLY hits home though. Anyone who says we don't work needs to come spend ONE HOUR with my kids...they'll be begging for their 9-5. ;) I rarely am "off work". I also get annoyed that people think that people with piercings and tattoos are "rebellious freaks".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being honest, I tend to lump everyone into some stereotype...even if I made it up...but I try to remember Gal 3:28, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." We are all some type of trash apart from Jesus, but are all heirs of all that he owns (the UNIVERSE!) according to the promises in the Bible...incredible! Great post...convicting

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.