Friday, September 24, 2010

I Love You Warts And All

Growing up I heard multiple old people say "I love you, warts and all."  I understood what that meant but I couldn't really relate to it because I've never had a wart.  That is until this year. I'm actually not sure how long my wart has been a part of my body.  I discovered it in August, but it could have been there much longer. It's on the bottom of my foot...a place that I don't often look.  I wasn't too concerned about the wart until the guys in my Student Community Group told me about this guy...
Pictured Above: Tree Man - a guy whose warts have morphed into what looks like tree bark.
After hearing about Tree Man I not only was grossed out, but I was a little freaked out. I immediately called my doctor and set up an appointment to have my wart killed.

I'm not going to lie it's hard to love some one's warts. Whether a wart represents a small rounded protuberance on the skin or a less than desirable personality trait, it's gag nasty and hard to love. It's easy to love someone who doesn't have warts or who hides their warts well. It's hard to love someone when their warts are exposed. I think this is why it's so hard to be married or to have deep friendships. When you get close to someone you are going to see their warts. True love is loving someone with their warts and all.

"You're familiar with the old written law, 'Love your friend,' and its unwritten companion, 'Hate your enemy.' I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that. "In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you." - Jesus.

6 comments:

  1. Tree man makes me very uncomfortable. He is very difficult to look at. I feel queasy inside. But, your advice and words of wisdom (and those of that guy Jesus you mentioned) are wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is tree man real? I'm not a medical doctor but I would think that that would have huge implications on his health beside emotional or psychological...either way, very good post with huge Gospel implications...Jesus loves us despite us

    ReplyDelete
  3. random i know, but do you notice he's wearing GAP?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy, I didn't notice it was GAP. That's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob, Thanks for sharing but thanks more for the analysis on the subject and bringin' out Jesus words. Jack M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol@ "have my wart killed"....you are too funny!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.