Thursday, September 16, 2010

You dropped your audacious dream

When I was in high school one of my classmates used to walk up to people, point to the ground, and then say, "you dropped your elbow."  For some reason people almost always looked to the ground.  I thought this was very funny. For a brief time in my life I was inspired by this classmate.  I'd walk up to people and say the most outlandish things to see if I could get them to look at the ground. I'd say things like, "you dropped your kidney" or "you dropped your pelvis."  For some reason saying body parts that you don't talk about often made it funnier to me. 

I feel like most people (when I say most I'm including myself) wait around doing the mundane things of life and waiting for someone else to do something different.  Very few people are courageous enough to dream and then willing to work hard enough to make that dream a reality.  Everyone else waits to jump on the bandwagon of their hard work.  For example...it took James Cameron 10 years to make Avatar. It was filmed in a new technology that he created.  It was a HUGE hit at the box office.  Since Avatar, there have been a million copy cats attempting to bank in on the 3-D craze.  Movies are even throwing on awful 3-D graphics at the last minute in order to capitalize on James Cameron's empire (look at the Last Airbender for an example). 

I'm currently reading an advanced copy of "Sun Stand Still" by Steven Furtick.  So far this book has been inspiring and challenging.  He's daring readers to have an audacious faith in God.  He asks the question, "what happens when you dare to ask God for the impossible?" I feel like Steven Furtick is the James Cameron of pastors. He's dreaming bigger than everyone else and he's working hard to accomplish those dreams. 

Every once in a while I dream of doing something great for God. Somewhere along the way I lose my passion and let it fall into the pile of forgotten dreams.  Whether it's telling people that they've dropped a body part, jumping on the 3-D bandwagon, or copying the newest trend in churches it's easy to sit around and wait for someone else to do something different. It's easy to live in the mundane and never reach for anything audacious.

5 comments:

  1. such good points, rob. people are so afraid of failure that they don't risk enough. whenever i do my fundraisers, i always ask for more than i anticipate people will want to give. i'm always amazed at how people surprise me!

    in 32 weeks or so, you will have TWO constant reminders of the reason one asks God for something great, big, and audacious. cause you might just get TWICE as much as you ask for!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey- you are right about that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you are right. I am not particularly good at dreaming and then following those dreams. One reason why I like to read Mark Batterson's blog is that he consistently inspires me in the everyday and commonplace. I guess that I am hoping that seeing an strong example will help me to see how to approach my dreams in a way that I can make some progress of bringing them into the light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be the real deal for Furtick or the publisher or whoever to extend a pre-released copy to you...I can't wait to read it...I am the poster child for vicariously living through others and mooching off of others' ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billy, for some reason they sent two copies to Stu. He gave me one. They are trying to get the word out about the book before it comes out.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.