Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Follow My Example

I'm still nervous about the thought of having twins. I can't wait and I'm excited...but I'm nervous. Yesterday we went for another ultrasound and it was amazing to see how much they've grown.  One of the twins even looked like he was waving to us. The fact that my kid is not even born and he can already wave makes me think he'll be gifted.  I kid I kid. 


Pictured Above: These are the first pictures where the twins actually look like babies.

I've heard that with parenting or leadership that habits are often caught just as much as they are taught.  In other words it's important to teach right from wrong, but it's equally important to model it.  I've got some bad habits that I hope my kids don't pick up on. I often eat late at night, I tend to be about 5 minutes late to most things, and I text other people when I hang out with my friends.

One thing that I hope my kids will say about me is that I love Jesus. I hope that they will be able to see it by the way that I live my life.  I'm challenged by a verse in the Bible that I recently read. "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." - I Corinthians 11:1.  The author is challenging his readers to follow his example. Sure he's not perfect. Sure he has faults. Sure he had some bad days, but he was so consistent in following Jesus that he could confidently ask his readers to follow his example.  That's what I want. I want my twins, the students in my youth group, my friends, and the people at Waters Edge Church to follow my example as I follow the example of Christ. 

I'm nervous to make mistakes with my kids, but I'm confident that they can follow my example and it will lead them to a relationship with Jesus. 

7 comments:

  1. This was a very thoughtful post. You never will stop being an example for your little ones. It is not just some phase or pretense that you have to put on until they are a certain age. Your attitude is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard it said that they are your little mirrors...accept I find that I can only take credit for the bad they reflect...marriage and parenting sanctify you like no other...i want to saturate Merrick and Tirzah's life with Jesus so that the see Him in tractors, disney movies, Trix, in the color pink, in dinosaurs, in mommy and daddy...and so on...can't wait to meet your two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The babies will pick up on the good and the bad in anything they see. You and Monica are sure to be awesome parents and I'm excited to see the beautiful babies. I will say that parenting is much harder than anything I could have ever imagined. Please take advantage of the quiet you all have now. It will soon be gone :)


    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it that you already have a heart for your children to know Jesus. It is a wonderous responsibility you have. You will do fine. Those babies will delight your heart, and they will love you so much--I feel that you already lead by example. You are real and good, and it shows. Your parents did a good job raising you and you will do a good job with your little ones. It is normal to have fears, but once you see those little faces and fall in love -- it comes naturally. You are a good man, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Monica will be great parents, especially and BECAUSE you both love Jesus. Your kids will see this...and that's the best thing you can do for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks like I didn't finish my comment yesterday.

    I can't think of any two people who will be better parents than you and Monica. I've said many times that Monica was God sent. She is an absolute angel & an amazing teacher. From what I have seen and read here, you are as well. Your children have two wonerful examples to learn from.

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bernadette, thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.