Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Week of Pictures: I Invited My Favorite Band To My Wedding

I like pictures and since my wife documents every second of our life with her camera I thought I'd dedicate a week to them...
Pictured Above: dc Talk. We didn't know it when we bought the tickets but we showed up and had front row seats. The seats started at something like LL. I knew we had good seats but I didn't know they were this good.

The summer of fifth grade I went with my church youth group to a music festival.  It was like Woodstock, but without drugs, hippies, and all the bands sang about Jesus.  Ok maybe it's nothing like Woodstock but it was a big outdoor festival.  It was at this festival that I was first introduced to dc Talk.  They instantly became my favorite band. 

Now when I like something I tend to get passionate about it.  Here's the scene: It's the summer of my wedding.  dc Talk is doing a concert at the theme park Kings Dominion. Monica and I drive 9 hours from taking our students to summer camp and drove straight to the concert.  Now I believe this is the first time Monica experienced my stalking ability to find my favorite bands.  I had met the guys of dc Talk multiple times, but this time was different.  This time I was on a mission to invite them to my wedding. 

At a theme park the key to finding a band is to walk around.  The artists love to ride rides so there is a great chance you can find them in the park.  From a distance I spotted TobyMac, one of the members of dc Talk.  Monica was embarrassed as I quickly walked up to him and invited him to my wedding. Now I didn't think he would come. To my surprise on the day of my wedding the guys of dc Talk showed up.  No that's not true. The truth is they probably threw it away. I didn't expect them to do anything with it.  For some reason I just wanted to say that I invited my all time favorite band to my wedding.  Like I wrote I tend to get passionate about things I like.  Here are some pictures of the concert that night...
Pictured Above: Kevin, Toby, and Michael singing with some fans

Pictured Above: TobyMac came through the crowd to start the set.
Pictured Above: TobyMac climbing on the trussing.

Pictured Above: Tobymac making a pyramid with his guitarists.
On a side note dc Talk has been on a ten year intermission.  Recently one of the members announced, via Twitter, that he was trying to get the band back together for a 2011 tour. I pooped my pants when I read that on Twitter.

6 comments:

  1. DC Talk was the first "rock" band I ever saw live...Jesus Freak and Supernatural are two of the greatest albums...i genuinely think that you could put the songs on Supernatural on a top 40 station TODAY and people would dig it...and I'm sure you're a purist, but would love to see a collaboration of John Cooper in a remix of Jesus Freak...yes sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K., I have only heard about this "band" from you. I have never heard any of their songs. Of course that is saying something given that I have been around the block a time or two (or three or four). My guess is that the above photos are figments of your active, passionate imagination. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some DC Talk. But i'm in severe doubt of the group ever getting back together now that Michael Tait is the lead singer of Newboys :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. so dctalk is basically the greatest band ever and i would literally do almost anything to go to one of their concerts in the event they do go on tour!! They should have a LU alumni ticket discount haha

    Jen Blackwell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keren sent wedding invitations to The Edge and John Petrucci, my two favorite guitarists!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.