Thursday, September 2, 2010

Date Night

So I'm going on a date. It's with my wife and it's going to happen tonight. I love going on dates but they are easy to forget about. In premarital counseling one of the things I teach is that couples should establish a date night and keep it holy. Dates are important because it give a couple a chance to look into each others eyes, show a little romance, and actually talk with one another.  Lately I've been epically failing in this department.

I recently watched the movie Date Night on DVD. It's a very funny movie.  I'm not a big fan of the last scene because of the place they go to, but overall the movie is very enjoyable. What stood out to me even more than the actors chemistry or the hilarity the ensues is the theme of the movie.  "We have become really good roommates" is a phrase that a couple uses to explain why they are getting a divorce. It's what spurs on the adventure in the movie. It's what make Steve Carrell's character step up his game. It's what scares and convicts me.

I love my wife with all my heart. Our life is so busy it's easy for me to forget to romance her. It's easy to use the excuse we don't have money to go on a date. It's easy to use the excuse that we are both tired and we need to stay home.  It's easy for me to be a really good roommate.

Monica, I don't know when you'll read this but I'm coming to pick you up at 6:00 PM for a date night. You are pregnant (with potentially 4 babies) so we are not going dancing, but we will have a date with just the two of us. You are way more than a roommate to me. I love you.

15 comments:

  1. I am trackin with you...but I'd say that when I fail in the dating department I also am a not so good roommmate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constant pursuit man, constant pursuit. If you want what few folks have ... yeah, you know the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billy, thanks for the comment. It's hard no doubt.

    Daniel, I sure do. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact that you and Monica still make special time for each other (even if you did say you've been failing at it lately). I also love the fact that Monica is pregnant with potentially 4 babies...that made me giggle when I read that because all I could think of was Octomom (even though she had 8). Maybe Monica could be Octo"Mon".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elyse, your comment made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for a date! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post Rob, I immediately told Cam about it! (He, however, might not thank you!) Haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, you are welcome. Cam will come through. He's a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a really wise man for one so young! Nurturing the relationship you have with your spouse has got to be intentional and what a great way to do that...date night...I think I'll invite Donald "out" tonight :)! Thanks, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, I hit the wrong little button...I wanted to sign the previous entry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth, no worries. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah yes, the roommate epidemic. Date Nights are sometimes hard to come by, especially with kids. But they are super important. My husband is really good at putting together "at-home" date nights. When we don't have the money or the sitter, we'll have a carpet picnic or turn our living room into a dance floor. As long as we can get the quality time, it doesn't really matter where we are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lindsey, that's awesome. I wish I did that type of thing more. I need to meet your husband. Does he come to WEC?

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.